We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Man stag do

Y Felinheli, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Isle of Man stag do

I'm trying to organise a stag do for a friend's wedding and the Isle of Man has been put forward as an option!

Sketchy plans for the May bank holiday weekend at the moment include:

- ferry over from Liverpool on Saturday night followed by a visit to a few Douglas pubs

- Sunday minibus tour around the island, again stopping at a few pubs

- Monday visit to the 'classic TT' followed by the ferry back to Liverpool

Any comments/suggestions would be welcomed, including:

- are a group of 12 lads likely to be unwelcome in some places?

- any suggestions for the tour? Ramsey and Peel possibly?

- the stag is keen on real ale - any possible brewery visits?

- suggestions for cheap but reasonable accommodation in Douglas would be welcomed

Many thanks!

Douglas, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Man stag do

There's a couple of breweries, Heron and Brearley and Bushys but I'm not sure about visits. I've never encountered any problems with large groups not being welcome but that might depend on what state you're in. Both Peel and Ramsey will be fine for stopping off in on a tour but you might want to consider Castletown there's a few good pubs there.

If you're planning a late one Douglas is place you want to end up.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Man stag do

Like your self I am also thinking of a stag trip to the TT. Do you have any tips? Do's or donts? Any info would be appreciated

Scott

Y Felinheli, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Man stag do

We enjoyed our trip to the IoM during the first week of the TT (although we didn't see any racing due to the wet weather on the Monday!). The only caution I'd mention is that everyone we met said that it would be quiet / dead outside TT fortnight!

We had one day's taxi tour of the island - including Ramsey and Castletown. We'd booked the taxi minibus for 7hrs which was a bit pricey - about £250 I think. In hindsight, it would have been better and cheaper to ring for a taxi from each location. Mind you, our driver, Pat, was v entertaining and full of useless info!

Ramsay was the highlight, with a great setting and a good few nice pubs. Castletown was also worth a visit. Douglas is by far the biggest town but is quite quiet. Again, there's a good few pubs but none as nice as the ones in Ramsey.

Would recommend the Hydro in Douglas as a good value (£80 for a twin room) place to stay.

Enjoy!

Isle of Man
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Man stag do

Hang on. Do you mean early May bank holiday or late May bank holiday? Late May bank holiday is the start of TT practice week. Recommendations and suggestions will be completely different depending on which on you mean.

Isle of Man
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Isle of Man stag do

Sorry, I'm a muppet. Didn't realise this was a post from last year!

Edited: 7:45 am, February 01, 2014
6. Re: Isle of Man stag do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Man
Recent Conversations