We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get there!?!?!

Which Ventnor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saltburn-by-the-Sea...
Level Contributor
18 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How do I get there!?!?!

Hi, I am hoping to travel to Ventnor in May 2008 with my boyfriend. I would be travelling from the Newcastle area. I have found flights to Southampton but I'm unsure about how I would get to Ventnor. I understand there is a ferry service but this only applies to the northern part of the island. Can anyone share their wisdom???

Thanks!

Katie

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get there!?!?!

You get the ferry and then a bus - for Ventnor maybe from Southampton to Cowes on the ferry, bus to Newport and another to Ventnor

http://www.islandbuses.info/

is the island bus company

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get there!?!?!

I would fly into Portsmouth, take the SeaCat from Portsmouth to Ryde (the train station is at the ferry terminal). Once in Ryde, get back onto the IOW train and take it Shanklin. From Shanklin, take a bus or cab to Ventnor.

PM me if you need more help. :o)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get there!?!?!

"I would fly into Portsmouth"

Really? How would you go about doing that given it doesn't have an airport?

Freshwater
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get there!?!?!

You can fly to Southampton airport. Take a train from there to Southampton central (Next stop for most trains) Bus or Cab to The Red Jet terminal and get a fast ferry across, then by bus to Ventnor. (1 change at Newport I think)

isle of wight
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get there!?!?!

theres a free bus to red jet passenger ferry,from southamton central station.when on island catch no.1 bus to newport,then no.3 to ventnor

south coast
Level Contributor
7 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get there!?!?!

All the advice about flying to Southampton and ferries or fast catamaran is spot on and quite easy. However, you may find that some of the hotels and or guest houses may offer to pick you up from the ferry point. It might depend on when you arrive and how long you intend to stay. I know one guest house in Ventnor that did this for my family in the past when we stayed for 4 nights.

7. Re: How do I get there!?!?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 23, 2009