We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goodrington Sands Area ?

Which Paignton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
211 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Goodrington Sands Area ?

We are both fit SC with a small well behaved dog, and looking for S/C cottage /Barn convertion or det house in August / Sept 2013 that comes with car parking space.

Also we would like to walk to the local shop's if we run out of supplies.

Some nice walks arround accomadation would be a bonus.

Any help would be appricated

Thanks Sandy x

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goodrington Sands Area ?

The area you are talking about is mainly private houses, not any barn conversions to my knowledge. There are mainly caravan parks and B & B's in this area providing holiday accommodation. There is a small parade of local shops, post office, fish & chip shop, Chinese take away and a convenience store, plus a holiday shop providing beach toys etc, so rather limiting for provisions.

During August this area is very busy, mainly family holiday visitors. You may be better off looking slightly inland, towards Totnes, or around Galmpton near the river Dart. Be aware dogs are not allowed on many beaches in Devon during peak holiday times too. To rent a house, Brixham would be an alternative, just rounds the bay from Paignton, beaches may still be a problem with the dog but there are more shingle beaches which may allow dogs.

Sorry not to be more positive, but I know the area very well as I have a holiday home in Brixham and you need to be aware of just how busy it gets.

You could also look at Dartmouth and surrounding areas, again you may be too late to book for this year.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,454 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goodrington Sands Area ?

Woolacombe or Combe Martin in the North fit your description better. September would be better with children back at school.

Both have beaches, you can walk dogs on most of Woolacombe year round and amazing amount of lovely walks in the area. A small number of shops and a variety of eating places. Pretty little villages around.

Oh, or Lynmouth/Lynton, my usual suggestion. Smallish with a huge variety of beautiful walks to tea rooms - dogs welcome.

Edited: 5:31 pm, July 07, 2013
Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goodrington Sands Area ?

Hi Sandy Goodrington is perfect for dogs. Check out Blue Chip Holidays and holidaylettings.co.uk, both of which offer a wide variety of accommodation. Goodrington consists of a large green area open space for dog walking, two beach areas, one section you can take dogs during the summer. You can also walk over the headland to Paignton Harbour, (there's a very small doggie beach there). Over the road from Goodrington is Clennon Valley which is where lots of people walk their dogs. Or you can walk along the headland the other way to Three Beaches (dog friendly ) and then to Broadsands (not dog friendly) but the headland area is lovely, then onto Elberry Cove (dog friendly) and if your super fit you can walk all the way to Brixham and get the bus back.

Just to clarify Goodrington is an area in Paignton, it is a lovely place but not so well known so does not get hoards of visitors. Brixham I also like, but was busy a couple of weeks ago and will get a heck of a lot busier over the next couple of months. I do not know of any areas in Brixham town when you can walk dogs off lead during the summer months, but there are lots of areas outside e.g. Berry Head.

Goodrington is also a good base , the steam train to Dartmouth has a station there , Dartmouth is a must for a day out. Totnes is nice and has some nice doggie walks. We visited Cockington on Saturday , which is also amazing for dogs and some lovely walks.

Shopping wise from Goodrington you could walk to Paignton for food shopping, there are a few shops at Three Beaches as post 1 described, and there is a well stocked convenience store there.

Hope you find somewhere you like.

uk
Level Contributor
211 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goodrington Sands Area ?

Thank you all for your help, all your comments has been very helpfull.

I have been looking at allternative locations in that area , but so far think we have left it to late for this year.

Sandy X

Dartmouth, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goodrington Sands Area ?

Hi have you checked out holidaylettings.co.uk, the site does appear to have some accommodation available but I am not sure what the prices are like. Also try www.englishriviera.co.uk. Hope you find somewhere nice.

6. Re: Goodrington Sands Area ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, May 24, 2015