We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks - Cockermouth area

Which Bowness-on-Windermere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Walks - Cockermouth area

We're staying close to Cockermouth and want to do some low level circular walks. Have a car so can travel. Suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

It's only a reasonably short drive from Cockermouth to Loweswater, Crummock Water, and Buttermere, all of which are suitable for walking round. You could do Buttermere and Crummock Water in a single walk if you are looking for a longish walk.

While walking along the western side of Crummock Water, you may wish to walk not directly along the lakeside, but on the far side of Mellbreak, along the Mosedale Valley. That's a pleasant walk, and if I remember rightly, the path along the lake on the western side can be a bit tricky in places. There's a lovely pub at the north end of Mosedale called the Kirkstile Inn. If you can time your walk so you get there about lunchtime, you'll probably be glad you did.

Those are all low level walks in that there is almost no height gained at all. if you are willing to climb some rather small and not too challenging fells, then you also have a few options in the area. Low Fell, to the east of Loweswater, is an easy one to climb and gives you lovely views.

Sale Fell is also close to Cockermouth and is not at all a challenging climb, and has nice views of Bassenthwaite Lake.

If you want to go a little further afield, then you could drive to Derwent Water and walk around that: another pleasant and perfectly low level walk. IIRC it takes about 4 hours.

You're also not too far from Ennerdale Water, one of the Lake District's less visited lakes, which is also suitable for walking round. But be warned that although it's a nice easy path almost all the way round, there is a little bit on the southern edge that requires a bit of scrambling over rocks.

Anyway, although Cockermouth isn't the most popular destination in the Lake District, there is actually plenty of lovely walking to do without having to go to far, so I'm sure you'll have a great time!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

All great suggestions - walks around Loweswater, Buttermere and Ennerdale are the way to go. Angler's Crag on Ennerdale gives you a mini climb (nothing to worry about, really) and you are rewarded with a great view up the lake to the mountains behind.

Cockermouth is indeed not the most obvious Lakes town but is actually my favourite - friendly people, good pubs and a brewery you can tour round.

Mike

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

Thanks so much, plenty to keep us occupied. We chose to be in the Cockermouth area as we'll be there over the August bank holiday period and are hoping it won't be as busy as Windermere etc. We're visiting to enjoy the walking so there seems to be plenty to keep us occupied - and hopefully we'll take home some wonderful photos.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

Some super suggestions above - not much to add really. I think Buttermere will probably suit the best. Ennerdale should be least busy but only because it is a little off the beaten track, so a bit trickier to get to. Some lovely photo opps there as well though, as well as benches.

The one thing I would add is try to put some appropriate walking footwear on. It is not unusual even on the sunniest/driest days to have to walk across wet and/or muddy areas even on low level walks. Buttermere is a good example as the walk itself is quite easy - however, even with this walk there are a number of wet sections, particularly if you choose to go via the higher forest route on the western side and obviously if you choose to scramble a little at Sour Milk Gill. On the easier walks you see many people just use trainers but I prefer walking boots that give better support and I don't worry about getting them muddy and wet.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

Oh, and one other thing: do make sure you buy the 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey maps of wherever you are walking. They are fantastically detailed and you will be jolly glad you have them.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

Thanks. What is IIRC? Are the maps available at the tourist info. offices? What size area do they cover? Are they expensive as will only get used once.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

IIRC = If I remember correctly

The maps are widely available within the Lake District, at tourist info offices, bookshops, walking kit shops, garages, etc etc. They cost a few pounds, and are worth every penny. Seriously, if you're going to be doing any hiking at all while you're there, you'll think the money was very well spent even if you never use them again. There are 4 maps that cover the entire Lake District, but depending on how far from Cockermouth you stray, you may only need the one that covers the northwestern area.

This is the map you need:

amazon.co.uk/English-Lakes-Western-Explorer-…

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

Thanks again. I'm sure the north western one will be sufficient for our time in the Lakes - but we'll no doubt require one for the Yorkshire Dales - our next stop.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

If you're going to the Dales make sure you have the Tan Hill Inn on your list of places to visit. Fantastic drive up to the Inn!

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walks - Cockermouth area

Thanks for that tip - will check it out.

Get answers to your questions about Bowness-on-Windermere