We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please for virgin walking

wirral
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
help please for virgin walking

hi all. my wife and i are visiting bowness in june and would like to see some scenery with walks. we have not been to the lakes before so dont really have the appropriate gear to go high altitude walking. just an easy walk in trainers but get some good spots to see the district. were in our thirties and are quite fit so a good few miles would be within our reach.

thanks all

Edited: 4:15 pm, March 07, 2011
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help please for virgin walking

One of the 4 four sections fo the walk right around Windermere. Just under 10 miles, and some lovely views

windermere-way.co.uk/route/north_east.html

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
444 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please for virgin walking

Some really good walks on Lake District National Park Site, called Miles without stiles, including around the Windermere area!

lakedistrict.gov.uk/index/visiting/outdoors/…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help please for virgin walking

There a nice walk in Fellfoot Park (National Trust)) on the south end of Windermere. It has a rhododendron garden too. Worth taking a picnic - there is a raised section where you can sit on the grass and look over the lake. You can also see and hear the Haverthwaite steam train in the distance as it goes to and from Lakeside. And you get a good view of the Langdale Pikes. You can also hire a boat and get an ice-cream.

Otherwise, it's worth checking out the miles without stiles as mentioned above. As an example there is a level walk near the ferry point at Bowness.

In June Orrest Head can be done from Windermere (about two miles up the hill from Bowness) - if you want a view from higher up - you can see almost the full length of the lake when you get to the top. It's just that if it's wet it can get a little slippery on the way up and down.

In summer you should also be ok to do Loughrigg Terrace by Rydal Water (about 20 minutes from Bowness). Some nice water views and you should allow about 2 hours for the main part at a steady pace with stopping time for photos. There are also some caves here but they are officially closed to the public.

If you're prepared to travel about 25 minutes outside Bowness then Tarn Hows is an easy walk for people with trainers. There is a circular walk around the tarns and if you go clockwise you will end up at the top overlooking the tarns. In June it will be very busy here though.

Bowness tends to be the place most first timers go and for some people it is the only place they tend to go. However, you will find that once you leave Bowness there are lots of excellent walks and scenery which make up what I would call the real Lake District. You just need to be prepared to travel a little further. For example - for mountain views you can't really beat Keswick. For mountain and valley views I would proffer the Honister, Wrynose and Hardknott Passes as well as the Great Langdale area but as I said you need to be prepared to travel a little.

Edited: 11:34 am, March 08, 2011
wirral
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help please for virgin walking

thanks for all your good posts.

dan

England
Level Contributor
126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help please for virgin walking

Also try this web sites

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/

You can download the walks for free. Also think about getting some supportative footwear and a waterproof. The lakes are notorious for quick weather changes and if your feet, neck and shoulders are dry it makes it bearable.

Have a fantastic time, this will not be your only visit to the Lakes!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help please for virgin walking

I am also a newby to hill walking, I came to Keswick in March for 3 days and have to say Iam now hooked. We will be visiting again for a weekend in April also at Bowness so hopefully it will be just as good. If you go to the information centre you will find walks there, we did 3 walks even managed a few smallish hills. Its well worth it for the views as the lakes are stunning. I would say though that you should invest in boots as you really do need them as well as a raincoat as weather can turn really quickly. We also bought £10 waterproof trousers tha come in a small sack, these were great saving your jeans from getting a soaking. Saw these in Keswick market for £8 so should have got then there. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did, we are in our 50's and managed fine.

7. Re: help please for virgin walking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, October 20, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Bowness-on-Windermere