We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negative comments unfair?

Which Weymouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Negative comments unfair?

Hi all

I'm contemplating visiting Weymouth after an absence of almost 20 years, but have been put off a little by the comments of my husband's work colleague. She was there last week and said that although the harbour area and beach were lovely, the town was certainly not.

She mentioned beggars/ex-cons sleeping on the streets, closed down/rough pubs, and a general unpleasant atmosphere.

I find it all a bit hard to believe that somewhere I found so lovely on my last visit should have deteriorated like this. I can't find many negative comments in the forum, and I'm guessing that maybe she found something that wasn't to her liking and then magnified every little fault she found.

I'd be relieved if you could reassure me that this is the case.

Many thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Negative comments unfair?

I certainly agree with the Weymouth boosters. It is one of my favorite destinations in England, and, though I have not visited Weymouth in about eight years I would not hesitate to return. Rough types everywhere, even in Scappoose!

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Hi I'm arriving on the 24th of this month, for my 4th visit in 4 years. Love the place, however can't comment about the rough areas, have only been into Weymouth through the day, when there has never been any hassle. I originally started going just to visit Monkey World, but love the whole area. So much so that I drive down from the Scottish border every year. Can't really comment on the rough areas like I say as generally stay at Weymouth Bay holiday park, so just go there.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Weymouth was just lovely during the Olympics, and sadly pretty quiet. On the beach after a day of sailing there were about 10 people and us, though it was lovely and warm (and whole town scrubbed up for the duration).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Negative comments unfair?

We went in August and enjoyed it very much. It didn't feel rundown to me. Though not the swishest place in the world (the Lido is an absolute eyesore and should be flattened asap), it was, for the most part, very nice and seemed to be kept clean. We stayed in an apartment a few hundred yards from the centre so got to know the area pretty well. We never felt unsafe and I don't remember seeing any homeless people. It got a bit rowdy during the carnival, which attracted the kiss me kwik brigade like a magnet, but there were people from all walks of life so you would never feel out of place.

I would summise by saying you are never going to completely escape the chavs in this country unless you holiday in Virginia Water or up a mountain in Scotland. I don't know what Weymouth was like 20 years ago but I'm sure you will still like it.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Negative comments unfair?

I think people could give negative comments about any resort, city, town in the UK and they would be true. You have to look past the bad comments and look at the good stuff, the many shops it has, the quaint little "cream tea" cafes, restaturants, attractions, beautiful clean sandy beach, and stunning views. Weymouth has got so much going for it, it's such a beautiful place to go on holiday. I will be going again next year and i am really looking forward to it.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Negative comments unfair?

I've stayed in Brewers Quay overlooking harbour for last 3 years & love it. The views from the apartment (converted Georgian house) over the harbour / boats / bridge are stunning. Ive noticed a nicer bunch of people around there.

Every morning we walk past lovely gift / art shops - then stroll over the bridge & amble through the town (more fab shops mingled with charity shops / coffee shops / larger shops like Debenhams) and to the beach.

Brewers Quay is perfect location as you have 3 things to do at your fingertips. 1. the stunning harbour / places to eat along harbour & in Hope Square, stunning bridge, boats, crabbing. 2. then you have the bustling town with shops, street artists, ALL kinds of people (locals, holiday makers) 3. then you have beautiful clean beach with finest golden sand in UK & you can while away the day watching the donkeys carry little kids up & down, or have an hour on the water in a pedalo or wander to the new 'on the beach' cafe's.

I see you are from beautiful Wales? so you may be aware that a lot of seaside places have their share of poverty & drug problems (Rhyl, Weston Super Mare) & these unfortunate locals may be seen trying to beg pennies - but come to Brum & you'll see the same in abundance. This is what makes up our world. I work in very very disadvantaged communities where it isnt safe to walk around in evening but Weymouth, I assure you, is not one of them.

I love the sound of live bands & holiday makers in the eve while i'm relaxing in the apartment. this is life! it's what I come on holiday for - to reconnect with a world outside of the 9-5 drudge.

The daily early morn rubbish collectors / road sweepers are also a welcome noise as it reminds me that Weymouth is serious about keeping its gorgeous town clean for us holiday makers.

You'll love it ;-)

17. Re: Negative comments unfair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:06 am, March 19, 2013
Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Negative comments unfair?

It is nowhere as bad as described . A few shops have closed down, but the town is still lively and not full of tramps and ex-cons, there are only a few, as there are in any town.

England
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Negative comments unfair?

To be honest the Park District is the area in Weymouth which achieves the negative local press and police presence. This once bustling area of hotels and guest houses is now an area of multiple occupancy accommodation as the decline in the tourist industry has given way to need for bedsits, studio and flats. However, saying this you have many decent and law abiding citizens who live there. A particular number of pubs and small businesses have closed in the last couple of years. Although I understand the 'in famous' Somerset Hotel is being refurbished! Overall, would not be overly concerned about visiting Weymouth, as any seaside resort and end of train line it does have its issues with street drinking and homelessness.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Woo!

Awesome thread resurrection....

Get answers to your questions about Weymouth