We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negative comments unfair?

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Negative comments unfair?

Hi all

I'm contemplating visiting Weymouth after an absence of almost 20 years, but have been put off a little by the comments of my husband's work colleague. She was there last week and said that although the harbour area and beach were lovely, the town was certainly not.

She mentioned beggars/ex-cons sleeping on the streets, closed down/rough pubs, and a general unpleasant atmosphere.

I find it all a bit hard to believe that somewhere I found so lovely on my last visit should have deteriorated like this. I can't find many negative comments in the forum, and I'm guessing that maybe she found something that wasn't to her liking and then magnified every little fault she found.

I'd be relieved if you could reassure me that this is the case.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
Manbo's
$$ - $$$, Italian, Seafood, International
Al Molo
$$$$, Seafood, Italian, Mediterranean
Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Unfortunately there is a lot of truth in the comments made. As to whether it's any worse than other seaside towns I can't answer.

Certain areas of town have been done up and are very pleasant but it is still a dumping ground for ex-cons and drug addicts. It also attracts large groups on stag and hen nights hell bent on getting legless. Personally I don't stay in town late but it's ok early evening.

That said, it can be a nice place during the day if you avoid the rough areas. The beach is one of the best you'll find and the surrounding areas have much to offer in terms of attractions and wonderful views and walks. So on balance I would still visit Weymouth but stick to the nice parts.

Mentioned in this post
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negative comments unfair?

I think that this is a common thing in most towns.

I believe that if you look for something then you will find it.

Pubs and restaurants are closing down everywhere too

For lack of trade.

The best way to keep our favourite places going is to visit them and regularly.

If you fancy going then just do what you fancy

If you expect to find a grotty seedy place before you set off then that is what you will find when you get there

If you expect a lovely place full of friendly people nice food etc then that is what you will find

It won't have stayed the same as twenty years ago

Some things will have changed some for the better

Cream teas don't change, nor the fantastic scenery along the coast

Go and enjoy yourself and help keep the place alive for others

It's 40 years since I was there but will get back one day, I thought it was great.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Parts of the town centre are a bit run down as along with many seaside towns Weymouth is having a hard time which is a shame because it is well worth a visit and I would not be put off visiting as there is so much else to see. We were there in May staying in a small guest house overlooking the beach and really liked the town. We walked through some of of the shabby areas in the evening to get to one of the best restaurants in Weymouth (The Dining Room). During the day the town was buzzing with lots of people and it is easy to avoid these areas in the evening.

Have a read of the trip report I wrote for my visit in May and you will see that the only adverse comment I made was about the late-night noise from the hen and stag dos on Saturday nights. It did not spoil the rest of our stay and the town and beach was cleaned to perfection by the Sunday morning.

Mentioned in this post
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,607 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Weymouth is a great town, but bear in mind that it is a real place, with people who live, study and work there, so it will have its share of social problems - just like any other town in the UK.

Your husband's work colleague commented on the rough pubs, but what she didn't mention is that Weymouth has one of the best live music scenes in the country, as well as some cracking restaurants. There really is something for everyone, you don't have to go to the dodgy places.

Mentioned in this post
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Thank you all for your quick and detailed responses. The general comment you make that almost all towns in the UK have the same sort of problems, is of course, true. My own is the same.

You are, of course, also right that to keep these places alive, we must visit. So I can asssure you we will.

Marg001, I did read your trip report before I posted and I was impressed by the fact that the council cleans up before the morning comes.

Wirewiper, we love live music, so that's great news.

Thanks again all. We will definitely be there in the coming weeks.

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
244 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negative comments unfair?

I agree with previous comments. We have our fair share of homeless, and stag and hens, but certainly not the worst in the South coast! and certainly not as bad as NW London, when I lived there some years ago.!

and yes we are well known for a lively music scene. We know how to party in Weymouth, but that shouldn't spoil your time here. I dont think the town is any worse than any other high street - most have empty shops and pubs from what I have experienced on recent visits elsewhere. Pleased to hear you are coming, hope you enjoy your time here, and please let us know your experience.

If you choose a hotel/b&b in town centre or on the seafront you may experience noise at night,especially at weekends, as many bars are around there, try those the other side of the harbour maybe, - trinity st, hope square or those on Waterloo Place area nearer the Sea Life end, which are a bit further away from the noise, but still on seafront.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Thanks for your advice, catsmother. We're not really bothered by late night noise, but would prefer a harbour/bay view. There seem to be lots of B&Bs/hotels on TripAdvisor that fit the bill, so we're spoiled for choice. At the moment, we like the look of The Warwick, as it has views of both - and has had great reviews. Unless anyone would like to suggest somewhere else?

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
The Warwick
The Warwick
251 Reviews
Weymouth, UK
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negative comments unfair?

We stayed at Bay View which was very clean and comfortable. We had the front first floor room and had a wonderful view of the beach. The only drawback with Bay View was that they do not do breakfast although they do supply cereal, milk and tea/coffee facilities in the room.

Mentioned in this post
Bay View Hotel Weymouth
Bay View Hotel Weymouth
519 Reviews
Weymouth, UK
Brighton
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negative comments unfair?

Just back from Littlesea Haven Caravan park, we got back on Friday 7th September (2012) - Weymouth was lovely - LOVELY! - I certainly didn't see any rough goings on or closed pubs - out of the huge number of people there (It was the Paralympics) I saw two homeless guys that looked like they needed a shave and some clean clothes, but I'm from Brighton and could show you thirty there any day!. (And no, they didn't offend or threaten my family or myself - they were taking in the sun like everyone else).

All I will add is we are going back next year. I hope this helped.

Mentioned in this post
Weymouth
Weymouth
Dorset, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
244 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negative comments unfair?

thanks for your comments justabloke. Glad you had such a good time that your coming back next year - we need more people like you.

Locals are already saying they dont know if people will come back - (regulars anyway) but as far as i'm concerned the "free" advertising from the olympics should encourage new visitors, to discover just what we have here

and in surrounding areas. thanks again for your positive comments.

Get answers to your questions about Weymouth