We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where are the best places to eat in the area?

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
452 reviews
Save Topic
Where are the best places to eat in the area?

Where are the best places to eat in the area. We are looking for more up market places to take relatives or romantic dinners so not take aways etc

Any ideas on good places to eat? They can include North Yorks or areas resonably far away but say less than an hour from Barney....?

4 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Where are the best places to eat in the area?

Honest Lawyer hotel at Durham has a fantastic restaurant.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where are the best places to eat in the area?

Hi

I can give you some suggestions for down in North Yorkshire, close to where I live. Based on extensive research (and all less than an hour from Barnard Castle) -

1) Wensleydale Heifer at West Witton. Famous as a fish restaurant (the beer battered fish, chunky chips and mushy peas are superb) but also does a very good Sunday lunch. www.wensleydaleheifer.co.uk

2) Vennells in Masham

www.vennellsrestaurant.co.uk

3) Samuels, Swinton Park - ideal for a special meal

www.swintonpark.com/menus/food_wine.html

All 3 places above are in the Dales, in very pretty locations.

My absolute favourite place to eat is the Yorke Arms at Ramsgill, (also in the Dales but further south) but I think that would take you a bit more than an hour. Worth it though, and they do rooms too. Very romantic and the food is out of this world.

www.yorke-arms.co.uk

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where are the best places to eat in the area?

We have twice eaten in Blagraves house in Barnard Castle itself - absolutely outstanding both times despite the visits being over 20 years apart!

a bit pricy but wonderful food in a terrific setting

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where are the best places to eat in the area?

Second the Wensleydale Heifer suggestion previously, but wouldn't go 20 yards out of my way to go to the Yorke Arms at Ramsgill- it is upmarket, but to the point of being snobbish and pretentious.

The Shoulder of Mutton at Middelton Tyas (near Scotch Corner) is good. www.shoulderofmuttonmiddletontyas.co.uk/

The George at Piercebridge does a good barmeal and is a quality establishement- fabulous setting. http://georgeontees.co.uk/

Reply to: Where are the best places to eat in the area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted