We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

Which Grantown-on-Spey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

myself and my husband are visit Grantown on spey for 3 nights (a long weekend) on 1 May with our friends, another couple.

We would appreciate any advice on what is recomended in the town and the surrounding area. We like walking (up to about 10 miles) visiting distilleries and embracing scottish culture.

I look forward to hearing any advice.

Thanks in advance

L

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

http://www.speysideway.org/

well you are in luck.The Speyside way is on the doorstep of Grantown on Spey and you should be able to see and possibly visit several distilleries on this walking path (an old railway line).

it is realtively easy to take public transport or a local taxi futher up the Way and walk back.

http://www.maltwhiskytrail.com/

this link will give you a list and map of the distilleries along the Way and you can plan your own visits,not all the places are open to the public but most if not all are accesable for photo oppertunities.

aviemore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

Hi Lucy,

You should have a look at the www.greaterspeyside.com website with loads of information about the area. Also www.visitaviemore.com/grantownonspey

There is a great restaurant in Grantown called the Glasshouse which is on the street behind the co-op.

There is a festival on at the beginning of May called strathspey in may with lots of live traditional music in Grantown so this is a great time to visit.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

Thank you both for your useful information. I shall follow on your leads!

Lucy

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

Hi Lucy - yes Grantown is a great place to visit(note my address!)

You can have a walk along the Speyside Way from Grantown itself going towards Nethybridge(6miles) Boat of Garten (10 miles?) and Aviemore (14 miles) Why not bus along and walk back to Grantown? Anagach Woods is right on your doorstep too - 1000 acres of Caledonian Pine Forest - Magic!

www.anagachwoods.org.uk

I walk there every day with my dog. The Speyside Way runs through the forest so pick up a map from the Tourist Information Office in town, because if you just want a 5 mile walk it fits the bill. There is also the Dava Way from Grantown to Forres(23 miles) which takes the route of the old railway line out of Grantown. I would also suggest going to Nethybridge (pick up a map from the visitor centre or you'll get lost!) and take the walk from Dell Road into Abernethy Forest itself. It goes all the way to Glenmore Forest Park via Ryvoan. Glenmore Forest Park leading to Cairngorm Mountain has masses of trails as does Rothiemurchus Estate - all worth a visit

www.rothiemurchus.net

Loch an Eilean and Loch Morlich are both good circular walks.

Aviemore Walking Festival is 9th to 16th May

www.aviemorewalking.com

Are you staying in a hotel in Grantown because if not I would second The Glasshouse Restaurant as a good place to eat.There is also The Garth, Ravenscourt and Craggan Mill which is just outside town.

The Whisky trail is on your doorstep so again - get some info from the Tourist Office in the main street for more details. The Heather Centre a couple of miles outside town does good snacks and great bowls of soup as well as selling some lovely heather plants!

Have a great holiday - you are coming to the right place - I would say that wouldn't I?

Must go and have a lie down after that - I'm exhausted!!

Woody x

5. Re: Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:48 am, June 18, 2009
6. Re: Grantown on Spey and surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, November 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Grantown-on-Spey