We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Which Grantown-on-Spey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Last week whilst on holiday we stopped off in Grantown on Spey. As it was approaching lunchtime we thought we would pop into a tea room for lunch only to find it was closed! Crossed over the street to the local pub, sat down, and was told by the waitress that they were closing at 2pm (yet it was only 1.50pm) so had to leave. Next stop was one of the clothing shops on the high street, we had only got over the front door when asked to leave because our daughter had a drink of juice in her hand! So we then disposed of the juice, entered the next shop to be told, 'no buggy's', how do they expect to sell anything if they dont allow families into their shops? what are you supposed to do with your child? leave them in the street! We have never visited such an unfriendly place and have NO intentions of EVER going back there again!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Right then, who wins the pool for guessing the time I'd pop into this discussion?

First- some wise words heard, many years ago, on the street of New Dehli: 'If one person calls you a horse, pay no attention; if two people do so, take notice; if three people call you a horse, BUY A SADDLE!' Is it possible that this was a response to the travel party or members thereof?

I might also ask: if it was "approaching" lunchtime at the tea room, how did it get to be 1:50 by the time these folks reached the pub across the street? Likewise, though not having had the pleasure of a GoS visit, I wonder if a closed tea room, a closing pub and ONE high street shop constitute the "most unfriendly place in Scotland"- hyperbole perhaps?

As a shop owner, I constantly fight the temptation to ban young children (juice box, buggies and all) from my establishment. Whilst there are certainly exceptions, I find that a great number of parents enter with weans so their children may be amused and occupied tearing up the place with no intention whatsoever of making a purchase. Furthermore, some are offended that a proprietor would politely ask the little angels to return things to the spot from which they were taken.

OK, enough from me, I'm heading to the tack shop and a child-unfriendly pub.

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Salem ~> as ever, wise words. Always two sides to every story.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
18,597 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Gus today of all days I need a laugh so thanks your rants so make me laugh lol :-))

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Oh aye, Salem; got to protect that tackle at your age.

Also I thought "saddling up" was a Texas honkytonk pastime (we've just had 3 weeks there in May). Guess things get kinky in MA in the long cold winters!

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Having visited Grantown on Spey last Saturday with 1400 mates (yes 1400) I can only report that the welcome received for what was in essence a bunch of bikers was outstanding. Only problem all afternoon was finding a shady spot to sit and enjoy the fish supper n ice cream!!

Had no problems with shops, only problems with tea rooms etc was that of capacity - on way back 4 of us popped into small team room at garden centre (mmm dumpling on sale) and despite being near days end staff were onto too willing to feed and water us...

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Buddy: Right response, wrong forum...we were back at the Grayline tour (Edinburgh) for that one...but meeting you anywhere is a pleasure!! Texas, eh? Furryboots? I lived in Austin for a while, back when...a lot of lovely ginger-haired UT cheerleaders call themselves Jock Tamson's bairns- you can hardly swing a longhorn cow without hitting someone with a Mac or Mc at the front of their name. I actually worked for a radio firm that was owned by a lad who had called himself "the old Scotsman" on the air.

I guess I've been off-topic long enough for this post- CHEERS!

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Hey, whatta mean "my age"? A bit of calling the kale pot black...

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Oh McSalem: As Texas reminded me of Grantown on Spey (therefore on forum?), we stayed around San Antonio and then Hill Country much of which was meant to be German settled. We kept seeing folk who did indeed look Scottish and spoke to a few to find that a few generations ago their ancestors had come over to Texas cos the teashop in Grantown was closed (back on topic, see).

Mind you in Jamaica we met some ginger haired rastafarians and that goes back to a Scottish ship (from Grantown?) foundering off the Jamaican coast.

Why is everyone is Salem pale of face and rarely seen in the daylight?

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

Och, aye, right! I remember often waking up in Texas and thinking I was in Grantown on Spey (forum topic!!), too. It's a bit of a shock to see folks in lederhausen walking the streets of Fredericksburg on a 40C degree day looking for an iced tea shop (forum topic) only to find they've closed to go on holiday to Jamaica to visit their dreadlocked relations from Grantown on Spey...jings, are we on-topic or what?

MMM, lamb tacos (with Daddy's broon sauce, of course) from San Antonio- my favorite! And you've reminded me of the times when the haggis (imported- naturally) herds blocked the single track roads in the Hill Country- known locally as the "Texas Highlands" (topic). In fact, there IS a Texas haggis producer- minus the lites, sadly- which goes great with juice boxes (topic, topic).

Re: Salem "pale faces": the local cooncil requires us all to wear SPF45 and we're known as "the North Shore's place where the sun don't shine", if you get my drift. Luv ya, Buddy, don't ever change!

20. Re: Most Unfriendly Place in Scotland Grantown on Spey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Grantown-on-Spey
More Grantown-on-Spey Topics