We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on Mainland, Orkney

Which Kirkwall hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
One day on Mainland, Orkney

Hi there everyone, on day two of our cruise this summer (Sunday 10th July) we will be in Kirkwall, we have been to Kirkwall before and went to Skara Brae, ring of Brodgar and saw the Churchill barriers around Scapa Flow, we loved the place. This time we will hire a car again, our main interests are wildlife, scenery and history of the place. Anyone got any suggestions for things we missed last time?

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One day on Mainland, Orkney

Inveroran is right about the car ferry - it's only a small vessel, and can get very busy. There is a ferry from Stromness to Hoy, but it's for foot passengers only - I used this a few years ago, and did a long walk on Hoy, via the Dwarfie Stone to Rackwick, then to the Old Man of Hoy, and back through the hills to the ferry - a wonderful day out, if slightly tiring...!

orkney
Level Contributor
99 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One day on Mainland, Orkney

Hello

Great News that you will be coming back to Orkney and want to see more of our lovely Islands.

What you may not be aware of is the fact that there are THREE (yes 3) cruise liners calling here on the 10th July - it is going to be a very busy day !!

As you are going to be hiring a car (get this booked ASAP is my advice) you should be able to avoid the hoards. However in order to help ensure that you get the most from your visit (and keep away from the masses) why not consider engaging the services of a local Orkney Tour Guide to join you for the day?

This will still be much cheaper (as you already plan to hire a car) than taking one of the ships tours and more personal (and cheaper) than joining a group tour.

If you need any more information on this or any other aspects of your Orkney day (as I actually live in Orkney, unlike others) please contact me at orkneypat@btinternet.com and I will gladly give you more information.

What ever you decide to do - I hope you have a lovely day in Orkney and a great cruise.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One day on Mainland, Orkney

thanks for that info, pat,

I will book our car today!!

Kirkwall, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: One day on Mainland, Orkney

A tour to the upper levels of St Magnus Cathedral is well worth a visit. The guided tour takes around one hour and takes you into the triforium, clock chamber, bell chamber and then outside onto the parapet giving you a birds eye view over Kirkwall and beyond

orkney
Level Contributor
99 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: One day on Mainland, Orkney

Great Idea........................ But this is not available on a Sunday!!!!!

16. Re: One day on Mainland, Orkney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, June 07, 2014