We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

So sorry to see such little activitiy in the Lymington Forum and that most topics had been closed.

We are traveling on a Monday in May through New Forest. I was so disappointed to read that the HoHo bus doesn't operate until June. We looked into a private tour but it was more expensive than our entire stay in Southampton! So I think we will train to Brockenhurst and then continue on to Lymington.

Where would the best place be to have a nice pub lunch? Also, could you suggest places to visit that are walking distance of the train station?

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Brockenhurst
Brockenhurst
New Forest National Park Hampshire, UK
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

OK, I don't know it personally, but know exactly where it is - and would suggest that you should be down by the water, after a lovely stroll down the cobbles to the famous Quay:

http://www.theshiplymington.co.uk/

This is at the top of those cobbles, on the opposite side of the bottom of the High street (which you will definitely walk up and down)

Am not sure if they do food, you can google that, but for sure they do an excellent Scrumpy Jack, and it's nice inside!

www.lymington.org/pubprofiles/1kingshead.html

And here's another one on the High Street itself

www.lymington.org/pubprofiles/1angelinn.html

Hope that helps a bit. You could go down the quay, walk all the way to the end by the Lymington Yacht Club, nice to see the boats moored there, and do a loop back along Captain's Row, conservation area. Famous yachtsmen and women etc..

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

Just noticed you are on a big trip.

If your time allows, you COULD take the train from Lymington station to the pier, and take the ferry across to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight...

wightlink.co.uk/ferry-travel-info/…timetable

And then you get a look at a world famous stretch of water...

Where are you staying in the Forest?

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

Thanks for the ideas in the previous post as well!

We are basing in Southampton - and only for 2 nights. On Monday we will have all day (and night!) to explore New Forest - (Isle of Wight) but will have to depend solely on public transporation.

On Tuesday we will be training to Salisbury (Market Day) and then BACK to Southampton (There is NO transportation between the two Cathedral Town!) to do a return train to Winchester.

Then on Wednesday we will fly back.

(And embarrassed to ask, but what is a Scrumpy JacK? It sounds interesting!!)

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

Ah! Looked it up - It's hard cider, and one of my favorites! That Inn has a fantastic menu!

Can't wait 'til May.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

I think I noticed that elsewhere - have you checked Salisbury to Romsey, either Chandler's Ford to Eastleigh to Winch?

You can get a bus from Romsey to Winchester, but unfortunately they stopped the Rail bus link service, as it was underused (apparently!)

Now you really are talking about my home territory (although I grew up in the Forest!)

Enjoy it all!

Southampton
Level Contributor
469 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

We are fortunate to have some lovely places in Lymington. The ship as recommended is lovely on the quay. If you follow the coast round along bath road there is also the mayflower which does great pub food with large garden or the haven in Lymington yacht haven with a large decking area over looking the marina - they do sandwiches and snacks during the day. Walking round the sea wall a bit further is the chequers which serves great food but is a little out the way down a country lane.

If the weather isn't great you could also try the kings head at the top of the quay - fab food but no garden or a couple of doors along, graze, which is a small tapas bar.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

Lovely ideas, but I think Chequers is a bit far really. Oh.. for the summer and PIMMS!

Southampton
Level Contributor
469 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

Yes you are probably right about chequers - I do it quite often (and actually had lunch there today!) as love the walk along sea wall but for someone tight on time and only visiting for a day it is a bit out of the way. Someone after my own heart - today was definitely a pimms day sat out in the chequers garden in the blazing sun!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

Nice!!! Now a real trip down memory lane - we took our English Pointer, and 2 yr old with a pot of crayons and paper, and met up with friends outside under an umbrella with a large jug of Pimms.. I can see it now with the beautiful geraniums and hanging baskets everywhere!!

Said 2 yr old is now headed 22...!

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Day in New Forest - Lymington for a light lunch.

And this is what is so lovely about Trip Advisor! Reading the posts from you two (very helpful) ladies which are up to date and not information out of a book published 2 years ago!

Your ideas and memories have already endeared Lymington to me - I only wish we were staying longer.

So many places still left to see and actually time is not my friend, as I'm in my mid-70's now. (impossible - where did the time rush by so fast?)

If you are still reading this as I wallow along here, you might tell me what a "jug of Pimm's" is! Actually, I have had a Pimm's in New Orleans. Is it the same? It always amazes me how different American Englsh can be from the King's English!

I just looked it up and found this - you may be interested to see how popular this is in New Orleans.

http://napoleonhouse.com/pimmscup.html

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Get answers to your questions about Lymington