We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Fishing around Salcombe

Telford
Level Contributor
10 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Fishing around Salcombe

Hi

Myself and the family are coming down to Salcombe for a week at the end of July. I was thinking of bringing a sea fishing rod and reel etc, but wondered which were good areas to sea fish from in or around Salcombe. I am not a "keen" fisherman, more like stick a ragworm on a hook, chuck it out and see what bites, sort of fisherman.

Any advice or ides would be warmly received

Cheers

8 replies to this topic
Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

Not sure if any trips go out from Salcombe or if it's possible to fish from land, but nearby is Brixham which has lots of sea trips, also fishing from the Marina jetty.

Within 1.1/2hrs drive is Looe in Cornwall which also has sea trips and fishing at high tide from the jetty.Both places have plenty for the rest of the family to do whilst you're fishing.

If it's fishing from land I would suggest driving to Slapton Sands, I see lots of people fishing there as the beach (shingle) slopes rapidly and is deep. Need to check about licences, I don't know if you need one for sea-fishing.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

I've seen people fishing from the beach at Woolacombe when the surfs not too high but I would think it's a real art to beach fish like that. Possibily Salcombe is the same.

Ilfracombe is about 1/2hr away with a harbour and it's a fishing port so I would think this would be your best bet.

I put 'line fishing at Ilfracombe' into google and loads came up on the fishing sites as it did for Woolacombe.Salcombe came up with just a few.

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

Re: post no.2 If you're in Salcombe you're at least 2.1/2 hours drive to Woolacombe

just in case you don't already know that. Woolacombe and Ilfracombe are in North Devon, Salcombe is in South Devon.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

Many locals fish from the beaches and rocks on the East Portlemouth side of the estuary opposite Salcombe. However the beaches are not really an option in high season as they are busy with holiday makers swimmers and sailing dinghies. The rocks seaward of Millbay should be ok though. Fishing trips are available from Salcombe by boat ranging from 2 hour mackerel trips to more serious stuff. (The previous poster suggesting Ilfracombe is only 1/2 an hour away from Salcombe must be travelling by helicopter, - probably 2 hours minimum by road in the holiday season!)

For an expert view why don't you ask the Salcombe tourist information office, or post on an online fishing forum?.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

East of Hope Cove is a large headland called Bolt Tail. A friend of mine has been fishing for wrasse from the rocks at the base (a light scramble) for years and reckons its great. You'll get pollack and mackerel too. Watch the tides, obviously. The shops in Hope Cove (a lovely village) will be able to confirm tide times and advise generally.

Mike

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

My appologies, I was thinking of Saunton Sands Devon.

Must be the heat :-)

Edited: 7:46 pm, July 08, 2013
Salcombe, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

Several Boats offer fishing trips out of Salcombe, inshore or deep sea wreck fishing. At the moment fish are in abundance Mackerel and Bass big catches daily. Request the Salcombe Guide from Tourist Information. T 01548 843927 Info@salcombeinformation.co.uk.

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Fishing around Salcombe

My Baby is wild about my old trombone..

Reply to: Sea Fishing around Salcombe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salcombe