We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

I realise this topic has been covered before on here, but it was a while ago, so maybe someone has some updated information.

I will be traveling from Paris to Ashford on the Eurostar in December 2012 and due to a very tight schedule, cannot avoid arriving on a Sunday. I have googled and found numerous companies, but none of them seem to operate on a Sunday. The only one that looks promising is Compass, but they haven't answered my email. A previous post mentioned St Michaels, but they are based a fair way out of Ashford and from their website it looks like they only have big, luxury cars. I only want something small as I will be traveling by myself.

Godinton House & Gardens
Gardens, Historic Sites
Willesborough Windmill
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
14 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
10,764 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

I think you will struggle with this plan.

The normal business practice for all car rental companies in the UK is that they do not open on Sundays. Only the airport branches have extended hours. In-town branches are open Saturday morning but not Sunday. The only exceptions that I am aware of are a few locations in central London.

If you tell us where you intend to get to after you get off eurostar, we might be able to make other suggestions. Do you expect to arrive into the UK in the morning or later in the day?

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

I did get an e-mail from Europcar saying that they were starting to open some branches on a Sunday (limited hours) but I didn't delve into the detail as I rarely need to rent or return on a Sunday.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

If you are looking for self-drive then you will have problems finding somewhere open on a Sunday in the Ashford area but I will have a delve to see if I can find anything locally.

I have not heard of Compass but we have been using St Mlichael,s Car Hire for the last 30 years and know them well, Theyare local run an excellent chauffeur driven taxi service but they do not supply self-drive hire.

Edited: 4:46 am, January 18, 2012
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

Thank you for your replies everyone.

I will be heading to Sussex to walk in the footsteps of my ancestors... Ewhurst, Rotherfield, Sedlescombe and then onto Gosport where I will be based for a few days before returning to Ashford on the Friday.

Maybe I will just have to face the fact that I need to move things to Monday and Saturday. :(

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

I have found two local companies who may be able to help you. Although they have been established for many years I have never usedeither of them so cannot give an opinion.

Kenhire state they will try to help for out-of-hours hire so maybe you can e-mail to ask.

www.kenhire.uk.com

Ashford Self Hire are open on Sunday mornings for a short time. You need to scroll down to the bottom of their site page to see their cars.

www.ashfordselfhire.co.uk/about-us.php

Edited: 6:22 am, January 18, 2012
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

Thank you so much Marg001. Ashford self hire looks like the way to go. How on Earth did you find that? I've been scouring the Internet for two days.

On a side note, am I likely to run into snow in the south of England in the first week of December? Aussie driver here who has never driven in snowy/icy conditions.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,971 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

If you go to yellow pages www.yell.com and put car rental, Ashford Self Hire it is the 7th on the list.

If you google car rental ashford then they are the 2nd hit. Seems that they are only open 08:30 until 10:00 Sundays

Snow is possible in Decembe but not certain. There was none this year to speak of.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

<Thank you so much Marg001. Ashford self hire looks like the way to go. How on Earth did you find that? I've been scouring the Internet for two days. ......>

Being reasonably local helps, I live 9 miles from Ashford and worked there for 14 years. Good luck with your plans. As RonaldoC says there is always the possibility of snow but I can't remember the last time we had any in early December (I am sure someone will come up with some figures to prove me wrong ;-) )

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

We had snow during the first week of December in 2010. I remember as I was unable to travel up to a concert in London! Dec 2010 and 2009 were particularly cold (2 of the coldest winters in the last 20-30 yrs) but these were an exception to the general recent trends. In fact Dec 2011 was one of the mildest on record and we've had no snow in this region at all so far this winter, as mentioned above.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday

I would do Sedlescombe, Rotherfield then Ewhurst in that order.

Reply to: Car hire in Ashford on a Sunday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted