We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stanstead airport to basildon ??

Which Basildon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Stanstead airport to basildon ??

Hi - we are planning visiting basildon - arriving in stanstead airport on saturday afternoon + returning to stansted on sunday evening ... Any advice would be really great - thanks :)

12 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,689 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

National Express coach to Stratford, Tube to West Ham, train to Basildon. You can buy the combined ticket for Tube / train at Stratford. Total cost under £11 per person each way

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

Don't go????

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

What Essex Wanderer is implying is that Basildon is rarely seen as a tourism hotspot. However, many people have relatives there and if this is the case, check with them which is the best station to go to. If it is Basildon itself follow Alanrow's advice, but if Billericay is more appropriate you can get tere direct by train from Stratford.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

Another option is to take the X30 express bus from Stansted to Southend and then the train from Southend Central to Basildon.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

Don't be put off by the name as they didn't change it when Stansted opened.

The Gatwick Flyer will take you to your door (literally). Coaches run to/from Stansted every 2 hours.

http://www.gatwickflyer.co.uk/

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

Hi, a very simple solution x30 to Chelmsford then the 100 straight to Basildon no need to go near London - I thought there was something like this.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

OK, well if you must go to Basildon because you have family there and things to see and do, then you have some good travel suggestions already. I would go for the Stansted(aka Gatwick)flyer as it will take you door-to-door at a reasonable cost.

Basildon does have some things to recommend it! Normally, I am an advocate of a visit there because of the classic 1960's Brutalist Architecture - but lately the town council are trying to 'soften' this, and loosing the plot IMO. I don't think they realise what a design classic they do have to the town centre there!

The Festival Leisure Park (BazVegas) is lively with a good cinema, nightclubs, 10 Pin Bowling, restaurants and tons of free parking.

The Plotlands Museum/nature centre tells the story of an important piece of inter-war social history.

The Towngate Theatre has a selection of shows.

There is some surprisingly good shopping, and a decent little market.

So really there is much to recommend Basildon, but it is much council housing and 'London Overflow'. there are some quite run down areas even in the dead centre and it is not for everybody!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

I know Chelmsford is a county town, as well, and should be good, or if you want more history etc consider Colchester.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,689 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

< loosing the plot >

Tsk

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stanstead airport to basildon ??

Hi all - thanks for all advice - its brill now all i have to do is decide which option to choose . Not keen to go london direction so now i have options... Its great to get advice from you ;)

Reply to: Stanstead airport to basildon ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Basildon