We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
507 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Looking to visit the Peak District soon for a night. Not really been for many years so looking for a great walk for myself, hubby and Poppy the wheaten terrier. Want great views, about 6 miles but not much climbing ( I'm too old Lol ) Thanks in advance of any suggestions :)

P.S .... Doesn't have to be in or around Buxton but I had to choose an an area - why is there not a forum choice just for the Peak District ?????

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Hi Anna,

Have a look at the Monsal Trail

peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/…monsaltrail

Almost level, Car park just outside Bakewell that also has a café selling nice cakes ....Aaahh!! Problem ;-)

Bob

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
507 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Thanks Bob....I'll have a look. Probs need to have a Bakwell Tart BEFORE the walk in the very distant hope of walking a few calories off ha ha

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Dovedale maybe? Mostly flat (some steps), stepping stones, large car park, caves to see.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Curbar Edge and Froggatt Edge, there are Car Parks at either end, plus a loop round to the East on White Edge to make the 6 miles (I haven't tried this last bit). The view of the Hope Valley is fantastic. Take boots, waterproofs and sensible care in case of a change in the weather.

The Dovedale walk could include lunch at the George in Alstonefield and return by the minor road through Ilam. Some parts may be wet.

From Ilam, try the Manifold River, may be a few floods on lower parts at present.

Hove
Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

From the picturesque village of Hartington you could do a circular walk taking in Beresford and Wolfscote Dales, which are along the Dove, and Biggin Dale.

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
507 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

thanks all.....bit of a schlep from North Wales so booked a B & B in Buxton with Poppy ( and hubby of course) so I may try them all !!!!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Last time we were there, the Buxton Tourist Information Office had a nice little booklet with several walks for a pound, all starting in or near the town. We did one across the golf course and up a hill, probably about 4 miles.

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
507 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Brill Dave' thanks for the tip

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
376 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Note that lots of paths across farmland are really muddy at present so that's another good reason to choose the Tissington Trail or Monsal Trail, which generally have hard well drained surfacing. The section through Millers Dale is particularly attractive.

Edited: 12:56 pm, January 13, 2014
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to walk off my Christmas pig out

Hi again,

Have just walked the Monsal Trail today (Monday 13th Jan) and it was fine (of course), a couple of puddles but that is all.

Bob

Edited: 1:37 pm, January 13, 2014