We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Parking in Buxton

Manchester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Car Parking in Buxton

Would like to warn visitors to Buxton to be very careful when parking in the town centre. I parked at the central Spring Gardens Car Park. Yes it was raining! Think the combination of a warm car and damp ticket meant that it peeled off the windscreen so I got a fixed penalty charge. Not to worry I appealed - no problem as the ticket purchased has your partial reg no on. Appeal turned down as apparently the issue was not that I had bought a ticket and attempted to display it and bad luck had intervened. Apparently the sticky tab on the back of the ticket is not for sticking the ticket on the windscreen i.e. if the adhesion fails you shouldn't have used it. Just because it peeled off I still have to pay - so it cost me more to park in Buxton than if I hadn't bothered to buy a ticket at all!

England
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Parking in Buxton

It is very easy to get a parking ticket in Buxton, the traffic wardens are very keen and will cut you no slack. I parked in the Spring Gardens car park on a damp late afternoon. I lined myself up against a car that was already parked without realising that car was slightly over the white line, which meant I was also slightly over the white line. A £25 fine was my punishment for my error. Also, those using the residents parking permit should be aware, this does not cover you for parking in the Crescent. We found out, to our cost, when we rerceived another ticket. Just because somewhere has paid-for parking, it is not safe to assume the residents scheme covers you. Lots of people getting ticketted on a sunny Sunday afternoon, what a great advertisment for the town.

Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Parking in Buxton

Yes the crescent is awful for parking. The resident parking scheme notice board at the crescent is not clearly displayed to warn visitors of the town to see or acknowledge. Parking near the university (dome) is a nightmare. Regardless of people visiting the town people avoid parking at the spring gardens car park by parking around park road. The local estate agent parks there too. I feel very sorry for the local residents who live on this road as they must get so fustrated of people parking on their road. But in hindsight who would visit buxton as I hear it is starting to be referred to as the ghost town of the peak famous for its charity shops and cafe's. I feel very sorry for the remaining traders, hotels, restaurants, festival / event organisers who are trying their hardest to keep Buxton alive. Very sad on my visit that the once thriving buxton market has diminished so much. The spa hotel i hope will attract some like minded people but from inside business whistleblowers they can't see it making a drastic change to the local economy. Buxton past and present councils have alot to answer for? Yes the surrounding areas of Buxton is beautiful, Local people make you feel very welcome but what does Buxton town itself offer to it's residents and for it's future residents and visitors?

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Parking in Buxton

There's another thread about what would benifit Buxton and a more relaxed parking regime would help . Buxton traffic wardens are amongst the worst I have come across.

Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Parking in Buxton

I imagine this may be due to resident Buxton car parking schemes sign posts not being clearly displayed which may add to the problem. The market place modernised council parking area near the town hall is terribly designed from an access point of view. The local authority must of realised when re-locating Buxton university to the town centre that parking will be limited. The parking facilities in and around Buxton are poor and I imagine that no thought went into parking when the local authorities re-located the local university to the town centre.

5. Re: Car Parking in Buxton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, April 20, 2014