We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

Doncaster, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
303 reviews
Save Topic
Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

Hi there! Went to Longshaw area at Christmas (stayed in Fox HOuse) loved the Peak district so decided to spend out 1st wedding anniversary there! This time we're going to Birch Vale, a place called the Sycamore Inn does anyone know this place?

Also, as we do not drive we wanted to know how the area was for walks etc and public transport. We love the bleak, hilly parts of the peak district like at Hathersage and Grindleford and were hoping to have a picnic beside a nice stream in the High peak area on our anniversary. Does anyone know of anywhere nice within walking distance of the Sycamore Inn?

Mentioned in this post
The Sycamore Inn
The Sycamore Inn
188 Reviews
Birch Vale, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

We ate at the Sycamore in Birch Vale a few months ago. Quite stylish and enjoyable (bit more expensive than I thought it might be). It used to be a pub that did food, but has now moved more upmarket - recommended. Being a car driver, I'm unable to comment helpfully on public transport. Ironically, whilst we live only about 6 miles from the Sycamore, whenever we want to go into the peak it's to places like Grindleford and Hathersage that we go.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

If I remember rightly, the Pennine way long distance path starts near Hayfield.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

Nah, it starts in Edale, the othe side of Kinder Scout

I don't know the Peak very well west of Castleton (Sheffield boy, see?) so can't really help with walks etc. but a look at Multimap shows there's plenty around Birch Vale and Hayfield

Kinder Scout is *particularly* bleak and hilly if you're up to something strenuous, but it's boggy on the top and steer clear in marginal weather - the Dark Peak tops are featureless and you can get disoriented (and cold and wet) very quickly in fog or low cloud

Mentioned in this post
Kinder Scout
Kinder Scout
204 Reviews
Peak District National Park, UK
Castleton
Castleton
Hope Valley, UK
Sheffield
Sheffield
South Yorkshire, UK
Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

Judging by the hybrid map on yell.com there is a stram about 500 yards west of the Inn, running from North to South, or you can head East on Sitch Lane and Swallowhouse Lane, keeping into the country then coming into the North of Hayfield.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,992 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

Key in 'Birch Vale' on the Ordonance Survey site, it will bring up a small section of the OS Landranger map for you:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/

Looking at this, there are several footpaths marked around the area of the Sycamore Inn, so walking should not be too much of a problem. - Your hosts will probably know of some good walks in the area, if they are worth their salt! (PS have looked at Sycamore Inn website, looks very nice indeed)

Somewhere along the A64, between Chapel-en-le-Frith and Glossop there is a large pub on the moors, which in summer has balloon (or it might be helicopter) rides setting off in front. Fun to watch, but you can indulge if you wish.

There is a good bus network in the Peak District, so you can get to some other popular walking spots, I'd head for the Derwent & Ladybower Reservoirs, home of the 'Dambusters' and some fabulous walks around there. The Derwent Inn has some great photos of the RAF days. If the bus takes you there via the Snake Pass, even better!

visitpeakdistrict.com/html/…

http://www.countrygoer.org/peak.htm

I have just found a fantastic interactive bus map, showing bus routes from Birch Vale to Glossop to Ladybower, incidentally it shows the area in very close detail too, so you can take a look at walks and footpaths.

…derbyshire.gov.uk/launch_portal.asp…

Mentioned in this post
The Sycamore Inn
The Sycamore Inn
188 Reviews
Birch Vale, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
29,992 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

KNEW I'd find it if I tried hard enough!

This is the pub I had in mind, The Grouse Inn at Chunal, in the direction of Glossop from where you are. Their website says it is Helicopter rides!!!:

www.grouse-inn-glossop.co.uk/index.html

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

Hi Pink

Firstly, be aware that the New Mills/Birch Vale area is not quite as isolated as Longshaw - you will need to travel North and East of Hayfield to get that

From Birch Vale, buses run frequently to New Mills Central Station and Hayfield during the daytime, and approximately once per hour to Stockport, Buxton, Hayfield and Glossop.

Probably the most useful will be bus 61 which goes to Buxton and Glossop. From Buxton you can catch a bus to lots of other places in the Peak District but remember that the last bus back to Birch Vale leaves at 5.20pm !

However, if you want to travel across the Snake Pass to Ladybower, you will need to do this via Glossop on a Sunday.

If you are reliant on public transport, I would strongly suggest that you order a copy of the Summer Peak District Bus Timetable book which (as its name suggests) has details of all Peak District bus services in it. Details of how to do it can be found at derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/… .

You can also download the timetables for the new Mills and Hayfield area at www.derbsbus.info - the most useful services will be routes 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 67, 358, 373 and the "Transpeak" service (TP), but don't do this until April as some of the timetables are due to change in March.

One final note - be very careful about using the Interactive map suggested by Essex Wanderer as it shows every bus route - even if it only runs on schooldays or once per month ! Derbyshire CC produce a proper bus map which you can order from them at the same time as the timetable book.

Phil-the-Bus

Mentioned in this post
Stockport
Stockport
Greater Manchester, UK
Buxton
Buxton
Derbyshire, UK
Essex
Essex
England, UK
Derbyshire
Derbyshire
England, UK
Doncaster, England
Level Contributor
104 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

Thanks for all your help everyone!!! xxxx

9. Re: Birch Vale, HIgh Peak and surrounding area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 22, 2009