We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I want Cashell she wants Blarney

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
I want Cashell she wants Blarney

We are leaving Waterford and want to go thru the Knockmealdown Mtns. and Lismore. Would we have enough time to enjoy all three areas in one day? I don't want to spend the nite in Cork. I was looking for something near Coachford.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

Depends on a lot of things. What time of year as length of days vary by up to 6 hours. What time would you be willing to set out from Waterford. What sort of day do you want to have - just driving and looking, or actually spending time in the places and relaxing and enjoying the scenery and atmosphere.

You can do what you suggest, but, personally, I think you could spend a really enjoyable day seeing Cashel, spending time on the Rock, a beautiful drive through the mountains stopping at some of the beauty spots, perhaps getting a little bit lost, and ending up at Lismore, seeing the Castle and staying the night around there. You would also have time to visit Cahir Castle and the Swiss cottage on this day, which is really worthwhile.

Of course, as I well know, holidays are all about compromise, so maybe it would be Cashel which would have to be left for another time.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

Irishrover, we'll be there the second week of June. I'm looking at staying in Tower just to the west of Blarney. How do you feel about the Vee and the Knockmealdown Mtns? I can't find any info other than it's a nice drive. Can you also tell me how lond a drive it is from Tower (Cork) to Dingle our next stop. We're planning wo nite in Dingle. Thanks for the help.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

flame, the drive through the Knockmealdown mountains from Lismore is really beautiful and the gardens at Lismore Castle are well worth a visit. However, if the day is misty or rainy you will not be able to see the great views from this road so maybe you could decide on the day what to do (the Vee or Cashel)?

For driving times you can look at www.aaroadwatch.ie. There is a Route Planning link. You can enter your location and then your destination and the link will give you an itinerary, the distance and driving times. The driving times do not account for traffic jams or roadworks so should be regarded as estimated. I just did this (Tower Village, Cork, to Dingle, Co. Kerry) and the driving time is given as 2.58 hours for 90.67 miles. I would reckon that 3.5 hours or a bit more might be more correct.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

Clauds, you are a god-send! I look for your opinions on every search I do. Looking at a map just doesn't do me justice. Can you give me you best guess at the time from Waterford thru the Vee to Blarney. We do not wish to spend all waiting hours in the car! Thanks for the time frame from Tower to Dingle. May I ask which roads you travelled?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

flame, I the driving time I gave you I got from the aaroadwatch link that I mentioned.

Right, I did this on the aaroadwatch site in sections. aaroadwatch reckons 49 mins from Waterford to Lismore, from Lismore to Clogheen (through the Knockmealdowns) and on to Mitchelstown 58 mins, from Mitchelstown to Blarney 47 mins. This would be a total driving time of 2 hours of 34 mins. I think this is totally unreasonable, you will have to account for traffic along the way (particularly in Mitchelstown). AND on a nice day you'll want to stop so plan for that as well.

All in all, if you leave early you should be able to do this and arrive in Blarney at a reasonable time.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

Clauds, we want to go to the Cliffs of Moher can you suggest a place to stay after a long trip from Dingle. I was thinking Galway but may want to save it for another trip.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

flame you can take a leisurely drive from dingle to the cliffs, it's about 140 miles and will be a great way to spend the day seeing the beauty between dingle and the cliffs.....there is a wonderful b&b on the cliffs road just before the doolin turn off called harbour view b&b....it is a wonderful b&b and doolin village is just about a mile from it....you will be able to get meals in doolin and hear some wonderful trad music....

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

The second week of June is the ideal time to be touring Ireland. It will be daylight until around 10.00 p.m. Of course, most of the buildings etc. will close around 6 or 7 but it will be you time to see plenty and still arrive at your nightly destination in the daylight.

Riverview, Florida
Level Contributor
41 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

wOw!!! I had no idea about the amount of daylight I'm getting every day. Thanks for the good news rover!! Now if I can get some places booked along the way. So, maybe I can do Cashell and make it to Blarney/Tower in one day. If we don't get to kiss the stone that day we can do the next morning before heading out to Dingle. Anyone have anything to say about Maranatha Country House in Tower? The Captain's House in Dingle?

We were going to do the voucher thing! HA! I'm not even to Ireland yet and I'm glad we're booking everything ourselves!!!!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I want Cashell she wants Blarney

We always stay in the Captain's House in Dingle which is quite central, flame. We've also stayed in Bambury's which is about 5 minutes walk from the town. But there are many good B&Bs in Dingle that you won't have problems getting somewhere nice.