We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipperary town - any highlights?

Aurora, IL, USA
Level Contributor
202 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Tipperary town - any highlights?

Hi - We'll be passing through Tipperary town soon during the afternoon. We can stay anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. What are places you might recommend to visit or eat or drink or shop in an afternoon in Tipperary? Thanks!

Edited: 10:29 pm, May 06, 2013
32 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

I'm from Tipperary Town and there is nothing there. We don't even have a decent cafe or restaurant. All we have is fast food restaurants and I'm sure you can get them in Limerick or Cork or a much nicer town somewhere else. Tipp is a dump. It's filthy. We used to have a cinema but it closed down last week. That would have been the only thing to see in town.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

Well that about sums it up Blue, the best thing in Tipp Town is the view......... in the rear view mirror :-)

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

@ Bluepersuaders:

A sad story. The closing of the cinema reminds me of that film: The Last Picture Show.

I was talking to someone in a small town in north Galway this week who said the place has become so quiet since one of the banks closed its branch there earlier this year. A neighboring village lost its post office two years ago.

Maybe, if someone started up a Tidy Towns committee, it would at least help to clean up the place and reignite a sense of pride. Smaller places than Tipperary town are doing it.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
30 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

What a pity some more negative reviews have appeared since my last contribution. It is obvious from most of them the people writing the reviews haven't been here at all in recent times. That is most unfair. Let me try to give some positive views and I hope people will look upon my opinions as someone who lives here and knows exactly what I am talking about. Tipperary Town is one of the friendliest towns in Ireland and everyone is most welcome. Now, regarding the comments there is nothing here, the place is filthy and needs a wash and painting let me update you. The Main Street in Tipperary Town has recently erected beautiful Victorian lighting. Each Victorian lampost has two hanging baskets and at the moment the street is a sea of colour. Most businesses have recently painted their shops and erected their own hanging flowering baskets. The very active Tidy Towns Committee are busily planting flowers and shrubs throughout the town - over 2,000 already this year. Regarding the toilets as 'grim', I visited them yesterday afternoon and they were very clean. Actually met a worker whose responsibility it was to ensure they were maintained to the highest standards. As already stated we have an abundance of things to do, Tipperary Hills, signposted heritage walks and excellent pubs and restaurants in the area. As for comments 'there is nothing here' we have three golf courses, all excellent with bars and restaurants attached, a beautiul pitch and putt course, a state of the art public swimming pool, a modern sports complex with every sporting facility, tennis courts, gym etc with a lovey kids playground attached. Irelands top tourist destination, Glen of Aherlow, is just five minutes away where the views will rival anywhere in the world. Accomodation is second to none, just read reviews of places here like Ballyglass House Hotel, Riverside House or Clonmore House to name but a few. From 4th to 14th of July our Gathering Festival takes place and I warmly welcome everybody to come and enjoy the many activities, practically all free of charge. Friday 13th and Saturday 14th will have many highlights where we will showcase the Town at its best. So please, forget the negativity from people who are not familiar with the great efforts made by the townspeople. We want tourists to come here be it for five minutes, five hours or five days, come along and get to know us. There is plenty to do and see here and if necessary pm me and get the true facts from a true native.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

tipperarytown.ie/news/…

tipperary.com/im_visiting/…festivals_events

Will actually be going to some of these in the second link and was over in the Sivermines (another wonderful bit of unsung Ireland) last week in the blazing sun looking back over at Aughty for a change.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

@oldtimer61:

Sincere apologies about not checking that there is indeed a very active Tidy Towns Committee in Tipperary town, already doing great work.

Also, not waiting for a response from someone such as your good self was a stupid mistake. Not my finest post, to put it mildly. Usually, I go out of my way to promote the less visited parts of Ireland.

What can I say in my defense: Fools rush in.... comes to mind.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

It was just when we where there Tipp, doesn't mean that they are always like that :)

Got some lovely photos of Tipperary anyway :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

Good to hear. I'm not often down that way and last visited in November '12 when it was dismal out. My memories of Tipp town are always tinged by heavy traffic on the streets.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

A couple of photos:

flickr.com/photos/tarrys_photos/9059694394/

flickr.com/photos/tarrys_photos/9059714808/

Pardon the naff title in the first one, I copied it from my private album into my computer and uploaded into my flickr.

October 2010.

Edited: 12:37 pm, June 16, 2013
Traralgon, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Tipperary town - any highlights?

Hi Denis,

My Dad was born and raised in Thurles, sadly he passed away 2 years ago. Anyway, my daughter and I are heading to Ireland on 1 September 2014 and we are looking forward to visiting Thurles as part of our touring travels. We can't wait to see all the sights that Dad had talked about in our growing up years.

Reply to: Tipperary town - any highlights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted