We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fogarty's in Tipperary

Chester
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Fogarty's in Tipperary

I am thinking of coming over to Ireland later this year to do some family research. My Great Grandfather I believe was born about 1947 in Tipperary. Does anyone know the best place to start my research would it be in Tipperary itself or in Dublin. I believe he came over to England as a very young orphan

Mojo

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,296 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fogarty's in Tipperary

1847 or 1947?

1947 would make your great grandfather and subsequent descendants rather prolific in their youth ;o)

There is some research you can do on-line before you go.

www.rootschat.com is a good forum for those doing genealogical research in Ireland and the UK.

There will be a difference in the way you search depending on whether the year is 1947 or 1847.

http://tipperarynorth.brsgenealogy.com/ may be of assistance.

The Irish Family History Foundation is also a great resource www.irish-roots.ie

A lot of Irish records were destroyed in a fire in the public records office in 1922 so it may be difficult to do some research

movinghere.org.uk/galleries/…irishrecords.htm

However if its 1947, then the Tipperary Register of Births Deaths and Marriages is the place to start. If you have specific knowledge you can get documentation

Civil Registration Office, Tyone Health Centre, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9:30-12.30 & 2 - 4:00

Do remember that Tipperary is divided into two administrative regions: Tipperary North and Tipperary South. Tipperary Town and Nenagh are in Tipp North. Carrick on Suir and Clonmel are in Tipp South.

tipperary
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fogarty's in Tipperary

Hi MojoChester,

you could try the Tipperary Town Excel Genealogy website at WWW.TFHR.org or e-mail them at Research@TFHR.ofg they should be able to help you. Thats Tipperary town in South Tipperary LOL!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,296 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fogarty's in Tipperary

I stand corrected Dee Dee. Sorry for misplacing Tipp Town. I wouldn't mind but I used to have relatives in the area!!

4. Re: Fogarty's in Tipperary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:24 am, October 19, 2009