We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunoon to Rothesay

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Dunoon to Rothesay

How long would it take to get from Dunoon to Rothesay via public transport? I've not been able to find a rail station in Dunoon, so would have to be via bus, can anyone advise please?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunoon to Rothesay

westcoastmotors.co.uk/userfiles/tt/477%20478…

West Coast Motors are the local company.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunoon to Rothesay

Rail station? You do know that Rothesay is on an island, and Dunoon virtually on one (a remote peninsula)?

Try www.calmac.co.uk

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunoon to Rothesay

At some point water gets in the way. And obviously a Summer journey is easier because there are more journeys on the timetable. You don't say if this trip is upcoming or you're planning for next year ...

From Dunoon you can head a long way into the Cowal Peninsula before arriving at Colintraive, the short ferry link to Bute. West Coast Motors. The bus takes anything from an hour to maybe 90 minutes, depending on stops.

westcoastmotors.co.uk/userfiles/tt/477%20478…

You then cross by ferry to Rhubodiach and then get another bus to Rothesay

I'd guess 2 hours total

OR

You can cross from Dunoon to Gourock (via Western Ferries) than go by train (via Port Glasgow?) to Wemyss Bay, then take the ferry (Calmac) to Rothesay.

Probably not much different in total time.

There used to be lots of Summer tourist sailings which would include both Dunoon and Rothesay, hence a direct journey by boat. Not sure what the situation is now.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunoon to Rothesay

I'm not too sure about buses via the Colintraive road but one way to do it is to get the ferry to Dunoon, then get a bus or train (change trains at Port Glasgow) to Wemyss Bay then the ferry across to Rothesay.. There aren't any direct ferry sailings between Dunoon and Rothesay but the PS Waverley occassionally calls at both during the summer months. This is part of a cruise however and I'm not sure if they offer fares solely between the two.

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunoon to Rothesay

Thank you all, didn't know about the island! I would be looking at going next Summer probably

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunoon to Rothesay

Your most enjoyable way of getting to Rothesay would be on the Steamship Waverley. She's a fantastic old ship, the last seagoing paddleship in the world, I believe. Owned by a charitable trust.

Their website currently lists their 2012 cruises, and I reckon someone can tell you about using the ship for a short leg rather than a full day. I doubt their 2013 dates will be available for some time ...

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk

7. Re: Dunoon to Rothesay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, February 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Dunoon