We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

Malta
4 posts
Save Topic
Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

I will be traveling on a Sunday morning from Leicester to Luton by train. My final destination is Luton airport to catch a Ryanair flight.

On the National Rail website I can see that there are 2 destinations in Luton. If I understand correctly Luton Airport Parkway (LTN) is the train station and Luton Airport (LUA) is the actual airport.

The train ticket prices vary a lot. The Leister to LTN train ticket only costs around £15. On top of this I have to buy a bus ticket to get from LTN - LUA which costs around £1.60. On the other hand, the Leicester to LUA (which includes the bus ticket from Luton train station to the airport) costs around £38.50.

Why is there such a price difference? Of course it is much cheaper to purchase a train ticket from Leicester to Luton Parkway, and then buy a bus ticket for £1.60. Does my reasoning make sense or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,833 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

Just one of the quirks of the British train system - you can buy Advance tickets for Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway from around £12 and must be bought in - em - advance, but the only tickets for Leicester to Luton Airport are off-peak ones that can be bought a few minutes before travel. It normally occurs when more than one train company is involved.

Malta
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

Thanks for your reply.

Therefore, I won't have any problems and save quite a bit of money if I purchase the £12 train ticket (online - in advance) from Leicester to Luton train station and then, once I arrive at the train station I can buy the £1.60 bus ticket to get to Luton airport. Correct?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

the Parkway station has a regular shuttle service into the airport(for which you can pay separately, doesnt have to be part of train ticket). The ordinary Luton station is in the town centre, I'm sure you can get to the airport from there but it will take longer and be more complicated

Malta
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

The Parkway station is also referred to the ordinary station or are they different train stations?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

There's a station in the town called Luton and a second station called Luton Airport Parkway. Plus a desk at the airport called Luton Airport

Trains from Leicester rarely call at both stations - local trains from Bedford (nearly??) always do

Edited: 3:34 am, October 10, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,388 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

To add to post 3, there is also a bus from Luton Station to the Airport, route A, which runs up to every 15 minutes and even has a night service. Journey time is about 10 minutes.

If the train you want to catch from Leicester stops at Luton rather than Luton Airport Parkway this would be a good alternative. I don't know what the bus fare is but it won't be a huge amount.

Another alternative if the train stops at neither Luton station is to catch a train to Bedford and change there for a local train to Luton Airport Parkway.

Edited: 4:02 am, October 10, 2013
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

East Midland trains from Leicester tend to alternate between stopping at Luton Town and Luton Airport Parkway. Generally, there is one train an hour to each. As above, bus from Parkway is easy and frequent. As for Sundays ... Check website for engineering works, they give good advanced notice.

8. Re: Leicester to Luton Airport Parkway / Luton Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 24, 2014