We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliff Lift

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cliff Lift

Was wondering, does the cliff Lift besides the grand hotel operate every day, we are going last week in March & my lad is in a Wheelchair?

Best regards - Taggy

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cliff Lift

Im not sure if this website is any use Taggy but these lifts only operate May-October.

http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/scar.htm

They look identical to to the cliif lifts in Hastings, in which case they should be accessible with a wheelchair.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cliff Lift

Thanks Bluebreezer, yes those are the one's. We've used them before actually, so they are suitable for a wheelchair but i wasn't sure when they started up operating. they are ideal because Scarborough Town & Beachfront area are on two different levels & my lad is too heavy to push up or down the hills, so will maybe now have to park up twice instead....a shame that. Wonder why they start operating as late as May?

Best regards - Taggy

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cliff Lift

^^ Im guessing they only start operating in May to tie in with the tourist season, that said the 2 lifts in Hastings operate all year round.

Maybe because its a bit warmer on the South Coast ;-) ?

Regards. BB

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cliff Lift

Its certainly a bit breezy at times on the East Coast BB!! Lol!

Best regards - Taggy

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cliff Lift

Just got the following reply from Scarborough Tourism, thankfully its open when we go, will be a big help!

Best Regards - Taggy

Thank you for your enquiry to the Tourism Bureau.

The times that have been confirmed to the Tourism Bureau for Central Tram Ways are shown below;

Running Dates: 11th February 2012 - 1st November

Daily Times: 09:45 - 16:45

Alternatively, there is the Spa Cliff Lift that runs throughout the year, for the months' timetable please do not hesitate in contacting the Tourism Bureau on 01723 383636.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cliff Lift

Thats good news Taggy.

Enjoy.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cliff Lift

Cheers BB, i'm sure we will.

Best Regards - Taggy

Wakefield, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Cliff Lift

we will be stopping at the royal hotel on the 16th march.can anyone tell me please.will we have to use the spa lift and what times and prices do they run.

many thanks in advance sue baker

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cliff Lift

Hmm- we were there last week and didn't see any of the lifts running (a Monday and Tuesday). There was maintenance work being done though. The Spa one had engineers working on it ,but the one near the Futurist was parked up. I would maybe just take the precaution of asking again a bit nearer the time just to double check. It would be very bad if you actually arrived and they weren't working.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cliff Lift

I heard back further from the tourist board & they said the one next to the Grand Hotel, had been having maintenance work which had delayed opening, but that it was due to open on Saturday just gone.

Best regards - Taggy

Get answers to your questions about Scarborough