We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to Scarborough

Hitchin Herts
3 posts
Save Topic
Returning to Scarborough

We are returning to Scarborough next month after many a long year. Our boys are now 27 and 24 y.o., when we last at Scarborough they were making sandcastles on the beach ! What we want and what we see no sign of in Scarborough site or these posts is word of the famous last sea-side orchestra which I know was all the rage just 2 - 3 years ago. Any info please

Norman and Joy nwjhill@ntlworld.com

Pickering England
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning to Scarborough

The Spa Orchestra still does lunch time and evening recitals and concerts and they are widely advertised. Also concerts in Peasholme Park. Suggest you try the Spa website or Tourist Information Centre

Hitchin Herts
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning to Scarborough

Thanks Will, yes, have stopped being lazy and found orchestra details on Spa site. Hope we two old timers will find time to hear them. Also want to get along to your place for a trip on that North York Moors Railway.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning to Scarborough

I lived in Scarborough as a child until 1970. Been back a couple of times in recent years on business and it has hardly changed in nearly 40 years. A nostalgic trip down memory lane. Over that time they have knocked down the Corner Cafe and the Holbeck Hall Hotel has fallen into the sea! Stayed in the Clifton Hotel (North Bay) - dreadful and the Crescent Hotel ( South Bay) - nice and comfortable. The Grand still looks very grand but thats about it!I understand they still have the Naval Battle in Peasholm Park - although for PC reasons its no longer the British v the Germans at the Battle of the River Plate. My sister (now 40) won a talent competition on the outside Spa stage. That reminds me - South Bay sea water pool was filled in years ago - Temp. never higher than 55 deg F when we were there. Perhaps with rising flight costs this English seaside resort will make a comeback. Weather would be a problem though compared to the Med! Have a Great Time.

Hitchin Herts
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning to Scarborough

Thanks for your post. When we were there before it WAS usandthekids, we stayed several years running at one of the smaller NorthBay b&bs then, 1980s. Since they've gone their own ways we have often said we would like to see Scarborough again - and I always liked the look of the Clifton; but you are not the only ones to say they haven't enjoyed their stay there. Wife always liked the grandness of The Grand; but in the end we have a deal at the Royal which seems to be generally better reported. The one which fell into the sea we cannot recall ! You bring back memories with your mention of the naval battle which we saw, a sure sign of the times that PC must nowadays be put before history. We are also reminded of days spent in Kinderland which the boys loved but I don't think we will be there this visit ! I think the sea-water pool you mention was still there, derelict, in the '80s. I'm sure it will be very different now but hopefully thriving. Thanks for helping us look even more forward to it.

5. Re: Returning to Scarborough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Scarborough
Recent Conversations