We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Break in Sidmouth??

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Break in Sidmouth??

Looking for a well deserved break in Sidmouth, but very wary of this article I read today: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2379571/Hotel-t… Any other suggestions?

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Break in Sidmouth??

Im not sure what your actual question is? Are you implying you wouldn't stay in Sidmouth because of this incident at this hotel? Or just that you were planning to stay at this hotel and now wish to stay at another?

There are plenty of other hotels in Sidmouth if this has put you off that one, look at the reviews here and pick a short list then ask.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
891 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Break in Sidmouth??

As with the previous respondent: what does this Daily Mail article say about Sidmouth? It is a beautiful place, with great places to stay, eat and explore, and a beautiful beach. Try http://www.eastdevonexcellence.co.uk for inspiration. But it all depends of course what you are after.

If you do go, make sure you have an icecream from 'Taste of Sidmouth'. Best icecream outside Italy.

PS and as far as the article is concerned: am I the only one questionning what the true story is here? From what I am reading (not just here; don't usually touch this horrible rag, but in other media too), the hotel has actually been quite reasonable, and it appears the lady concerned has been rather trigger happy by going to the media when she didn't get her 'compensation'. Always many different angles to any story.....

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
31,005 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Break in Sidmouth??

While it is very sad that her mother had died the woman had refused to take out travel insurance and refused the return of her money (which they didn't need to offer) - she want's compensation. Compensation for what? You don't have to take time off work to phone a hotel and explain. It was the hotel that lost money.

Maybe she is overwrought with grief and taking it out on the hotel.

It is a lovely quiet and gentle place and I am sure a phone call stating the facts would have prevented any misunderstanding.

Edited: 2:09 pm, July 27, 2013
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Break in Sidmouth??

As Joe says, there are plenty of hotels to choose from in Sidmouth. However, the hotel in question gets good reviews on TA and is in a wonderful location, overlooking the sea. Looks good from the outside, though never been in as it's a bit outside my price range.

In my opinion, the hotel was well within its rights to request payment from the customers who cancelled at late notice. They can't re-sell a room if no one books for those dates and it's too late once those dates are past. The customer declined travel insurance, so it's the risk she takes. Thomas Cook's cancellation charges are that you pay 70% of the cost of the holiday if you cancel within 7 weeks of your holiday.

Depending on when you are planning on going, if you are looking for a relaxing week away, you might want to avoid the first couple of weeks in August which is taken over by Sidmouth Folk Festival. However, if folk music and Morris dancing is your thing, then it's an excellent time to visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Break in Sidmouth??

i recommend the royal glen hotel...

old fashioned gem..

the hotel mentioned in the article is not a personal choice i like...there are nicer ones

Reply to: Break in Sidmouth??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sidmouth