We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting Wimbledon-Slough?

Which Slough hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 posts
Save Topic
Commuting Wimbledon-Slough?

Hi, we are planning to move to England from Denmark. My husband got a job in Slough; and we have two small girls. We would like to live somewhere in London, preferably an area with good public schools. We´ve been looking for house prices in Wimbledon (near Wimbledon tube station, for example) and it seems to be affordable for us, and well communicated. However, I am afraid the commuting time will be too long. Google maps says it takes 45 minutes drive. And in a journey planner web site it says it could take between 50 min and 1,10 h, via Paddington and depending on the train you catch.

I wonder, are these travel times realistic?? Specially the driving time? Would one expect to encounter frequent traffic jams? Are tube/train timetables reliable?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commuting Wimbledon-Slough?

Is there a special reason you've chosen Wimbledon?

You could look at Cookham or Maidenhead. I don't know if the suburbs around Windsor (Old Windsor, Englefield Green, Virginia Water) would work, but they wouldn't be a long drive or train ride.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commuting Wimbledon-Slough?

This exact question was asked about a month ago. Are you the same person who asked it then ?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Commuting Wimbledon-Slough?

My apologies, I can now see this was your original post, and so asked TA to remove mine ( above ) a couple of hours ago but for some reason it is still here ??

Anyway, the replies you were given then are still relevant.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Commuting Wimbledon-Slough?

In a word, YES, that part of the world is congested with traffic.

It used to be that most traffic would be going into London in the morning and out in the evening, but with Heathrow and the M25 to pass you are going to find the roads busy at most times of day.

Many people have a commute of double that, so if that seems long to you, perhaps it would be better finding somewhere closer to work? Uxbridge? Or as #1 suggests.

Wimbledon is a good area, and has a quick commute INTO London, but not to Slough.

5. Re: Commuting Wimbledon-Slough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, July 11, 2013