We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midgewatch

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Midgewatch

Further to a recent topic about midges, our local newspaper The Press and Journal has started a Midgewatch feature in association with the Advanced Pest Solutions unit at Edinburgh University.

Details can be found at www.midgewatch.co.uk or by texting "midge" to 84070.

Areas in Scotland are graded from 1 to 5. 1 is negligible, 2 low,

3 moderate, 4 high, 5 nuisance. This is not to put anyone off visiting anywhere in Scotland but, "should help visitors who are worried about being bitten by midges to get prepared in advance", said a Visit Scotland spokesman.

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Midgewatch

Glad to know you had a good time and were not bothered by our dear little friends. We don't get the really nasty midges over here on Royal Deeside, which is apparently one of the reasons Queen Victoria bought Balmoral Castle.

Of course we do get biting insects and there must be a type of midge amongst them, but now it's been asked - no not much bother with regards to midges or any other biters of late. Lots of wasps though.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Midgewatch

Loon forward to the full report - glad you had a good holiday - no biting to speak of in Ayrshire at the moment, but positively mediterranean temperatures!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Midgewatch

For those interested, first section of the trip report now posted under the heading "trip report - Ullapool-Durness-Inverness - longish" or similar.

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Midgewatch

First midge bite of the summer in Callander this morning. That's it started!

Aberdeen UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Midgewatch

Any midgie west of Braemar normally feasts on me BIG time! For the first time in my life I ended up with several bites on my arms in deepest Aberdeen suburbia last week. I don't know if the little blighters have come over on the prevailing winds but I was very surprised to be SUPPER!!!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Midgewatch

Midgies made a brief appearance in our ayrshire garden about a month ago, but have not been spotted at all since then - its amazing.

Guess they don't like this hot dry weather one little bit!

(unlike me)

Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Midgewatch

Midges everywhere I go now. Beautifull sunny day and they're waiting in the shade. I'm like a walking advert for Avon just now....but it works!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,879 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Midgewatch

I'm glad those lotions are working for you - bet you smell wonderful!!!

19. Re: Midgewatch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ballater