We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midgewatch

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Midgewatch

Further to a recent topic about midges, our local newspaper The Press and Journal has started a Midgewatch feature in association with the Advanced Pest Solutions unit at Edinburgh University.

Details can be found at www.midgewatch.co.uk or by texting "midge" to 84070.

Areas in Scotland are graded from 1 to 5. 1 is negligible, 2 low,

3 moderate, 4 high, 5 nuisance. This is not to put anyone off visiting anywhere in Scotland but, "should help visitors who are worried about being bitten by midges to get prepared in advance", said a Visit Scotland spokesman.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,983 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midgewatch

Lets face it Meg -sadly midgies find some people more tasty than others.

Me - I'm in the tasty category!

Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midgewatch

Well, if your current photo is anything to go by ......

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midgewatch

Look - I'm coming to Scotland on Friday. We've chosen this time of year because according to records the 5th June is the single best day for sunshine in the British Isles. We were in Ardnamurchan the same time last year and had fabulous weather - 4 days with barely a cloud in the sky.

The weather down here has been pretty awful - I missed mowing my lawn three weeks ago and it took me until Saturday to get them cut because it rained just about every day. The River Severn was higher on Saturday afternoon than it had been in March. My son couldn't even go out rowing.

The sun is shining. I've just been out for a lunchtime stroll with no jacket. The forecast for later in the week is getting better and better and I'm finally looking forward to my forthcoming short holiday - so can you stop going on about those bl**dy midges! You're just ruining my daydreams. ;-)

Seriously though, my first stop after Inverness will be the lovely waterfalls (Corrieshalloch) east of Ullapool. The last time I was there we were eaten alive and stopped for about 2 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Central scotland
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midgewatch

Well there's not many midges about yet.....but they'll be waiting for you! Especially in the North West.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midgewatch

I know. I know.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,983 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midgewatch

Thanks Meg - I sort of walked into that one!

Its a lovely warm sunny day in the South West - no midges spotted yet.

I suggest you start taking those brewer's yeast tablets daily - apparently the midges don't like the flavour at all - or get some of Avon's Skin So Soft spray on moisturiser which they also hate.

I don't think they'll be out in force just yet though and if you get weather like today it'll be wonderful!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Midgewatch

Forecast is looking pretty good, but who believes them anyway. The thought of me and skin-so-soft is sort of tickling me a bit. Hadn't heard about Brewer's Yeast before. I'll try and get to Boots before we go. Do Boots sell Brewer's Yeast? Glad to hear you had a good day as well. I reckon we deserve it.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,308 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Midgewatch

I got my first midge bite last night! It was a beautiful evening here in Central Scotland and what do you know? The wee blighters were out! Its another nice day today, so must get the Avon SOS out.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,983 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Midgewatch

I've heard that Avon Skin-so-soft is popular with the fit strapping blokes in the armed forces - now there's an image!

I'm sure that Boots does big bottles of Brewer's Yeast (not very expensive usually), alternatively the vitamin B tablets should do the trick (almost the same thing really, I think).

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,221 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Midgewatch

Just back last night - absolutely marvellous time. Weather a bit poor on Saturday until about 5 p.m. in Ullapool, then beautiful for the rest of the holiday. We saw otters and Common Dolphins and a fabulous sunset at Durness and found the rare Scottish Primrose as well, walked up to (and beyond) the Falls of Kirkaig near Lochinver in weather that was more like Greece in June than Scotland and wandered round Cape Wrath with T-shirts - we could have got away with shorts if we'd brought any!

I'll do a longer trip report soon, but the incredible thing was despite prolonged periods with no breeze, we hardly saw any midges at all. A few at the Corrieshalloch Gorge that didn't seem interested in biting was about all. Perhaps global warming in driving them to extinction.

Anybody had midges this week?

Mentioned in this post
Ullapool
Ullapool
Scottish Highlands, UK
Greece
Greece
Europe
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Cape Wrath