We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding photo's

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding photo's

My fiance and I are to be married at Gretna Green in May 2014 before travelling with a busload of family and friends to Cheshire for our reception. After an early afternoon wedding, I would like some locations along the journey south to have photo's taken, not too far from the M6. I had thought of some parts of Hadrians Wall, but am not familiar with the location.

Can anyone suggest some scenic spots for us, please?

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
620 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding photo's

What sort of location are you looking for? Mountain back drops? Have a look on street view on the following roads....The A6 just south of Shap OR the A5091 which is off the A66 (take the A66 West from the M6) this is the road that leads down todwards Ullswater. Both roads are a bit twisty (not the A66) & depending on the size of your bus, they may struggle, but the driver should know, but you need a park up area that'll be big enough for the bus to turn round in! How far from the M6 do you want to stray? To get more mountain views you need to go further afield. Have you got an official photographer?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding photo's

I've seen people having wedding photos taken in front of a steam train at Carlisle station. There's often one there on Saturday afternoons during the summer. If you want historical locations there's Carlisle Castle. Anything outdoors would depend on the weather. It's quite a detour off the M6 to get to the more scenic parts of Hadrian's Wall - around Housesteads would be good to get the Wall as a spectacular backdrop but it will add a couple of hours to the journey time. It will take about 2.5 hours to drive to Cheshire so I assume you don't want to waste too much time going off route. Plenty of scenic locations in the Lake District but again it's a detour e.g. Ashness Bridge is nice. Can't think of much very close to the M6.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding photo's

Killington Lake Services?

One of the more scenic motorway services, they are on the southbound carriageway of the M6 about half-hour south of Carlisle .

I suggest them for ease of parking of the cach, proximity to the motorway and there is a scenic view.it might necessitate a walk down towards the lake ( not a "lake" in the District sense)

I hope that you have a great day and health and happiness always for you both.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=killington+lake+services&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ArvsUq5yqsDsBv-AgbgB&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding photo's

Another suggestion would e Ruskins View at Kirkby Lonsdale.

This is considered to be one of the finest views in England

You can see it from the churchyard of St Mary's.

Not sure abi pout to etiquette of taking wedding photos though but there is a viewing platform open to the public.

sun-inn.info/information/…

Sorry if the link for Killington Lake doesn't work, just google Killington Lake and images

Edited: 4:34 am, February 01, 2014
5. Re: Wedding photo's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Carlisle