We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a day out in Stamford

Which Stamford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on a day out in Stamford

Sometime soon I'm meeting some friends in Stamford for the day and hoping to stay and have a meal in the evening. I haven't been to Stamford for years and my friends have never been and I'm wondering what we can do to amuse ourselves for the day. I've been reading good and bad reviews on Burghly House but don't really fancy the stately home thing. What is the shopping like and are there plenty of good places to eat?

6 replies to this topic
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a day out in Stamford

Hi, there's a good choice of shops, some big names and indepdents. There is also a nice little museum if you are after shopping in general you'd get a better choice in near by PETERBOROUGH as there is a lot more choice.

You do get good choice of restaurants in Stamford and some pubs doing food to. It just really depends what you are after.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,476 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a day out in Stamford

There used to be an amazingly good tool shop in Stamford! I wonder if it is still there!

It is a lovely town for a 'wander' the area along the river is very attractive.

Dinner at The George is classic, see Daniel Lambert's chair.....

http://www.stamford.co.uk/

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a day out in Stamford

Thanks for that... no not looking for Peterborough type shopping just somewhere different to browse. I suppose we'll have a few hours to kill and I'm not too sure what my friends have in mind, they usually like to eat, drink and have a natter! I suggested Stamford because I remember it being a nice little town to 'mooch' round which is what we really like to do. As for eating, a nice coffee shop for lunch and something a bit more filling for dinner, pub or restaurant will do as long as the food is good and reasonably priced. Thanks again for your help.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on a day out in Stamford

If that is the george hotel, last time we looked it had got extremely expensive I'm afraid.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on a day out in Stamford

Plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of places to eat, drink and have a natter. Seriously, you'll be spoilt for choice.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on a day out in Stamford

The tool shop is Harrison and Dunn - quite fun to find absolutely anything in the hardware line and very helpful staff.

The Toby Norris is my favourite pub in a wonderful building just past Marks and Spencer.

The George is splendid and a sandwich in the bar is good value.

Burghley House is great and you can walk around the grounds for nothing.

Friday is Market Day and a very good market it is too.

And of course it is a very pretty town.

Reply to: What to do on a day out in Stamford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stamford
More Stamford Topics