We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taunton Car Parks

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Taunton Car Parks

Want to arrive around 9am, earlier than I usually go, and was wondering just how busy the car parks were at this time?

Catching a train so don't want to find myself driving round looking for a space or in the middle of town.

Looking at Kilkenny, the one near the station or Belvedere Road unless someone can tell me better. Any info appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
10 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taunton Car Parks

And having a look at the prices it looks as though Sunday is free. Not sure if I'm reading the info right.

Is this so please?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taunton Car Parks

car parks are free on Sundays, and at 9am on a Sunday will be quiet! at 9am Monday to Friday the traffic is quite heavy & some car parks will be filling up. not sure how full it gets at Kilkenny but Belvedere road could be full by then on a week day. for charges have a look at this page:

tauntondeane.gov.uk/irj/…

Edited: 7:31 pm, March 25, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taunton Car Parks

Thank you Tauntonlady, that is what I thought might happen. In the 'old days' it was quiet from 8.45 as everyone had got to work but so much busier now.

I'll have to think that one through.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taunton Car Parks

Kilkenny usually has a few spaces left around 9, otherwise there's the station car park on the town side of the railway (it can take around 15 mins in the morning traffic to drive from one to the other!). Kilkenny is just over £5 for the day, station slightly dearer (and I think 1 day minimum rather than pay by the hour).

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taunton Car Parks

Thank you BHayes. I always expect the station one to fill - it's also a nightmare to get round and out of if you can't find a space. If I have to spend half an hour driving round looking for a space it would be as well to come in on the bus.

Don't know why they don't do a booking system at the station for long stay. It would be great to drive to/from my rural spot to the train when going on holiday instead of dragging my.....SA and case on the bus.

I see Wood Street CP is still on the maps. I thought it had been demolished for a road. With an exit out of Wood Street it would be a short walk to the station. But is it still there?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taunton Car Parks

Wood street car park is still in use though it will be almost 15 mins walk from there to the station. if you are thinking of leaving your car for several days would it be better to get a friend to drop you off & then pick you up on your return?

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taunton Car Parks

Thanks for the confirmation Tauntonlady. No just for day trips. But I think I'll have to have a days shopping and see where it is.

I thought it had gone completely and it was my favourite as it still had it's trees left for shade and always a space to be found.

Not worried about the walk as I'll be wearing walking boots and I've been doing it off and on for 40 yrs.......oooh thats a terrible claim!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taunton Car Parks

You may be thinking of a different part which has indeed disappeared. A car park which used to be beside the river behind Lidl - there's a road going through there now.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taunton Car Parks

Two things here Sue

Firstly, I have heard stories of cars being damaged when left in Kilkennny - although I think that applies more to ones being left there overnight.

Secondly, you can book in advance for the station car park - have a look at https://www.apcoaconnect.com/locationDetail/…

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taunton Car Parks

Thanks WaltR, I have investigated it before but nor for ages and it was first come first served.

It does look like it but doesn't actually say. Not sure I like the brevity of that but what I will do is go and enquire when next up as it would make quite a difference to me.

Many, many yrs ago I left the car for a long day - into dark - at Kilkenny and 2 hub caps were taken. This time it will be daylight so not too worried.

Because I don't do this often with a car things do change.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Reply to: Taunton Car Parks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taunton