We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Sunderland

Which Darlington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Airport to Sunderland

Is there a bus service from the airport to South Shields? Or will I have to change in Newcastle?

South Shields...
Level Contributor
723 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Sunderland

Which airport? if you mean Durham tees vally then yes you will have to get a bus, Newcastle airport has metro trains running from the airport straight through to shields

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Sunderland

Sorry, stupid me! Yes, from Durham Tees Valley to Sunderland or South Shields. Is it a direct bus or will I have to change anywhere?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Sunderland

Well, in the words of the old joke, "if I was you I wouoldn't start from here".

To get to South Shields (which isn't in Sunderland BTW) from DTV you will

a) take the free bus to Darlington train station

b) take the train to Newcastle

c) take the Metro to South Shields

d) take a bus / taxi / walk to whereever you want to be in South Shields as it does spread out a bit

If you flew to Newcastle Airport instead then it's a simple case of getting on the Metro at the Airport, then get off at any station between South Gosforth & Pelaw (stay on same platform) and take the next Metro to South Shields

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Sunderland

Aquila66 - there aren't any direct Metros from Airport to South Shields anymore

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Sunderland

Thanks for your replies. Haven't decided if I will stay at my mothers or my sisters, one lives in Sunderland, one lives in Shields! The things we do for a cheapo flight!!!

South Shields...
Level Contributor
723 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Sunderland

Doh! ok, thanks for that Alanrow its been a while since i used the metro to take a flight. you must have to change somewhere? is it the S\land line thats goes straight through?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Sunderland

Yup - but it didn't change when the Sunderland line opened, it happened sometime later

Basically you change anywhere between South Gosforth & Pelaw though if you are comfortable you may as well wait until Pelaw as there will be less passengers on the train as most will have got off by Heworth

8. Re: Airport to Sunderland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Darlington
Recent Conversations