We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or bus to Sandbanks and Studland?

London, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Car or bus to Sandbanks and Studland?

My husband and I are staying 2 nights at RNLI college, 10 mins from Poole quay and planning to go to Sandbanks and a day trip to Studland if the weather is ok. We'd like to spend time at the beach and not do too much walking. I read that there are ferries from Poole quay to Sandbanks but couldn't find any website offering that service online. For Studland, we want to stay at Knoll beach and maybe explore nearby area.

I wonder if we should drive to both places (I read that parking is expensive and queues to the ferry and parking lot can be long) or take the bus (may have to wait a long time?) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car or bus to Sandbanks and Studland?

Well you did visit. I used to live in Poole, and I went to Studland in my car, by way of Wareham and Corfe. This way you avoid the ferry queues. There is a parking area by the ferry (or there used to be). To walk from there to the naturist area is a long walk. You may see some cars parked by the road about a mile or so from the ferry. These are people going directly to the nude beach. Even then, it's a long walk.

poole UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car or bus to Sandbanks and Studland?

What a shame you felt you had missed out on the beauty of the area because of bad weather. True - when the sun blazes it makes it all the more special but on the other hand you would have had the perfect opportunity to explore the area whilst avoiding the worst of the summer traffic.

The walk from the ferry, around Shell Bay and along to Studland is only 3-4 miles with both the National Trust and Middle Beach cafe's along the way. You could then have returned via the lovely Heather Walk, taking in the wildlife along the way.

There is a misconception about what has been referred to as the 'nude' beach. It is a naturist beach for those who want to enjoy swimming and sunbathing unencumbered by restrictive clothing. Even in pouring rain the joy of swimming in crystal clear water without costume/trunks/wetsuits etc. is fantastic. It is the prurient who either object to or are fascinated by this "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" aspect of what they assume is 'something really rude'. We are born without clothing; Get over it. And for the minority who'se behaviour does give the area a bad name - go and peddle your wares somewhere else.

london
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car or bus to Sandbanks and Studland?

The nudist beach is unfortunately associated with gay sex and perverts.

Nothing wrong with being unencumbered, but it sadly attracts dodgy sorts.

metro.co.uk/weird/8216-police-strip-to-catch…

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2187391/Girl-10…

14. Re: Car or bus to Sandbanks and Studland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, August 20, 2013