We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poole B&B Near Ferry terminal to Cherbourg

Which Poole hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Golden, CO
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Poole B&B Near Ferry terminal to Cherbourg

I am tracing my grandfather's WWII service, and he departed Poole for Normandy. I will be in Poole to catch an early 07:15 Ferry to Cherbourg next Spring. We will be on foot, arriving by rail. Are the rail station and the Quay and the Ferry Terminal fairly close to one another. Could you recommend an inexpensive yet clean B&B for us that is convenient for our early departure---hopefully we can get a cup of coffee and pastry before departing.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poole B&B Near Ferry terminal to Cherbourg

Try Premier Travel Inn's in Poole Central (Holes Bay), They have some good deals on at present on there website

Poole
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poole B&B Near Ferry terminal to Cherbourg

I'm sure you will have done your homework, but the large boat ferry no longer operates from Poole to Cherbourg. High-speed catamaran does but only from May I think. Best to check with operator Brittany Ferries or Poole Tourism www.pooletourism.com - they could help with accommodation too.

I'm sure Holes Bay Premier Inn would be ok, see Tripadvisor for reviews, I've not stayed there, but part of well known chain. Close to rail station under a mile, but walk is a long main dual carriage way. I think path is only on opposite side of road. Might be safer to get a taxi, especially with luggage. Terminal is quite a long walk (20/25 mins) and a bit of a weird route too, definitely get a cab. I don't think there is a bus that goes close enough. Food is ok on the catamaran, it's possible to get croissant, bacon butty etc. Haven't used facilities at Terminal, suspect they will only be open in High Season, though.

Poole Radio Cabs no is +44 1202 666333

Hope trip is good, I really like visiting Cherbourg. Have had good meals in a restaurant just in the back streets called Rex Mundi - doesn't look much but always straight forward, well cooked food and quite reasonable. I have standing order for duck and chips + creme brulee!

3. Re: Poole B&B Near Ferry terminal to Cherbourg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 03, 2010