We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ipswich

Vancouver, B. C.
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Ipswich

My husband and I are coming to Ipswich for only 1 day and overnight before we head out on a cruise. My grandmothers family owned 2 pubs I believe. The Seahorse 4 Bank Street and the Case is Altered around 1912. My great grandparetns names were Selena Davis (1864) married to Harry (Henry) James Farman (1864 appr.). I have a copy of my grandparents wedding picture and would love to give a copy to either the pubs if still standing or to a musuem. If anyone could suggest where we can get more information I would really appreciate it. Also, does anyone do day tours of Ipswich. We will be there Aug. 30/12. Thanks again.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ipswich

I answered part of your question when you asked it back in March in this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g190725-i1630-k5…

This site has some details on the (long since closed) Sea Horse:

deadpubs.co.uk/Suffolk/Ipswich/SeaHorse.shtml

As 30 August is a Thursday, you could go on one of the Ipswich walks (every Tuesday and Thursday) that go from the Tourist information Centre at 2.15.

http://www.visit-ipswich.com/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ipswich

English ancestrial research is so much easier these days on-line with the massive work of digital records of written documents from archives.

Try a visit to

suffolkheritagedirect.org.uk/SRODServe/…

Edited: 5:12 pm, July 19, 2012
Vancouver, B. C.
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ipswich

Hi I am sorry that you already replied to me, but I am trying to do so much, that I think I am confusing myself. I am going to check out the walking tour and hope to find what I am looking for. A lot of the info I find refers to the post office records or something like that. Do you know where I would go to see them> Thank you for your help. We are going to stay at the Lattice Lodge and are looking forward to our short time in your area. Barbara

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,701 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ipswich

Not sure if you have some time on Friday 31st - if so the open top bus tour might work for you?

visit-ipswich.com/what_to_see_do/ipswich_wal…

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ipswich

There were Post Office directories, but they were primarily to find addresses and would not tell you much more than that. You already know the addresses of the pubs in question.

This site has links to many historic directories:

www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

I put in Suffolk, for example, and found a few historic Kelly's directories (Kelly's was once the most comprehensive directory in the 19th and much of the 20th Century).

6. Re: Ipswich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 22, 2013