We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living

Which Ipswich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aisa
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Living

I have been offered a job in Ipswich? Is it a nice place to live? Is it rough? Chav? Are there upmarket areas - if so, where? Is it a place on the up? or a depressing place that is going down the drain? Thanks for your advice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living

It has its moments......the town grew up around docks, so it's not exactly Windsor. If it has any trajectory, it's an upward one as it becomes more accessible from London (faster trains etc) and house prices closer in push commuters towards Ipswich. Much of the port has been decently gentrified

However, there are some upmarket areas, and in particular lovely villages very close by. Some great countryside, coast is lovely, etc

Living in East Anglia can be a bot of an acquired taste though....it feels mch further away from London than it is. Some love this, others hate it

Aisa
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Living

What are the upmarket villages you talk about? thanks for your response.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living

You may have taken up the job offer by now, but in case you are still wondering what Ipswich is like as a place to live I would say it is no better/worse than any other town. There are lots of restaurants but no decent shops. We had a Allders store but it closed and the only department stores we have now is Debenhams and the Co-Op. There are too many cheapish shops and just a few individual ones. I prefer to go to Norwich to shop. Luckily or us we have many fantastic restuarants to choose from.

Apartments are being built everywhere you look - but I assume that this is happening in most towns. The price of houses is going up and up.

Pubs seem to cater for youngsters and the town is teenagers at the weekend, again, same as other towns - some have had too much to drink. and are screarming and shouting in the street. If you are older you will prefer to visit great pubs in small villages outside the town, or one not in the centre of town.

The most popular side of town for housing is the East and the area known as Broke Hall is considered more upmarket than some. Crime is less of a problem in the area but it does still happen in all areas at times.( We will always be associated with the 'Red Light Murders I guess.)

It's expensive and difficult to park in the town centre. Buses are not cheap - £1.50 to the centre - but the bus service is excellent as far as I am concerned.

Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living

The areas considered to be most upmarket in the town are in the north/east particularly the areas around Christchurch Park. There are excellent schools in those areas and there are loads of recreational and leisure facilities the best thing is we are only 20 mins by car to the coast and just over an hour by train to London. It might be expensive to park in Ipswich but the park and ride system is excellent and cheap and operates all round the town - there are streets like St peters Street and St Nicholas Street with lots of restaurants boutiques and individual shops as well as everything you would expect to find in the centre. Yes there has been some bad publicity with the recent murders but that was an exceptional event and could have happened anywhere - Ipswich is still a great place to live and work.

5. Re: Living

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, August 20, 2009