We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

Which Llandudno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

My husband and I are taking my elderly mother with us on our railway holiday based in Llandudno in March, booked through a travel company. We could book an extra night to give us a day to relax before travelling home to Essex, but is anything open in the area in March (just before Easter)? We don't want to pay extra if there is nothing to do, especially as it's likely to be cold and wet.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,552 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

You might be surprised by the weather in March so don't let that put you off.

How many days are you staying in Llandudno (without adding on the extra day) and what have you already got planned ?

And by "railway holiday" do you mean that you are travelling to and from Llandudno by train ?

NORTH WALES
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

Hi, Have visited Llandudno a few times out of season for weekends with my wife and it's really an all year round tourist destination. No offence but i am assuming that having an elderly relative with you means that some activities are not practical but there should still be things to do..Without knowing exactly when and how long you are staying it is a bit difficult but you could check out the website for the theatre " Venue Cymru " and find out if there is anything on.. Even though you may not be able to walk up the Great Orme there are bus tours and the tramway to the top BUT CHECK IF THESE RUN IN MARCH..There are plenty of shops which will be open and some nice pubs (which may be quiet at that time of year) and restaurants If you are there of an evening. The busiest place at the weekend tends to be The Palladium which is a wetherspoonsso the drinks are reasonable and you can have food but the crowds may not suit your mum. If social clubs are more your style there is the British Legion close to the railway station. You can sign in just for a night (small charge) andi they have bingo which anyone can play (not sure which nights they have it on)..If the weather is not too bad it's a beautiful walk along the prom day or evening, it is quite a long way from one end to the other though....It's worth checking the visit llandudno website which might give you ideas on where to eat and other attractions. Hope this helps.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

Hi, we arrive on Friday afternoon; Saturday we have a trip to Ffestiniog Mountain Railway and Portmerion; Sunday we have a trip to Llangollen Steam Railway, Monday is a free day (we are thinking about visiting the ancient copper mine), Tuesday we have a trip to Llanberis National Slate Museum plus some free time in Llanberis for Snowdon Mountain Railway or the Llanberis Lake Railway then we go to Caernarfon Castle. Wednesday we are due to come home because the organised holiday has finished but we are thinking about staying an extra day and coming home on the Thursday. Both my husband and mother have bus passes, so we are happy to use buses, but Mum gets tired if she has to do too much walking or climbing stairs (she is 89).

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

Take the Wednesday and relax and just have a stroll on the pier or prom

You have had a hectic few days bobbing about

Relax... Go on

You know you want to

Llandudno is a unique place enjoy a few hours in it

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

Llandudno is the major shopping centre for the area so it is only a case of a few tourist attractions closing in winter, I would expect they would be open in March as Easter is early this year. The local tourist information could help you there. Leuca is right, Llandudno is lovely just for a wander, plenty of seats on the prom and the pier. You could catch the bus to Conwy, although the castle steps would probably be a bit much for your mother, the quay is pleasant and there is plenty to see from the outside.

A word of warning, English bus passes are not valid in Wales. Likewise, Welsh ones are not valid in England

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

city sightseeing run an open top bus, it does a round trip to Conwy & back which takes an hour. There is a running commentary about the area. This years timetables are not on the website yet, but they start running in March. go to www.citysightseeing.com for more info. The Great Orme tramway should be open from 10am to 5pm in March see www.greatormetramway.co.uk The walk up to the tram station is quite steep however

The previous reply is correct that English bus passes are not valid in Wales, but the sightseeing bus has a reduced fair for over 60's.

I went to Llandudno a couple of years ago in March & the weather was lovely, in fact we sat at the top of the open top bus, although there was a bit of snow on top of the mountains, & on our last visit in November last year it was mild enough to go out without a coat. If the weather is on your side it is nice to just potter about on the prom & the pier.

If your mum cannot walk to far, would she consider hiring a wheelchair or mobility scooter for the day ? Abergele mobility equipment do both, they have a shop in Llandudno, their phone no is 01492 877604

NORTH WALES
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

Hi, Leuca is spot on, there should be plenty to do in the day and the evening as with a busy schedule such as the one you have you could just potter about as the shops are all within reasonable walking distance..If you don't mind me asking which hotel are you staying in as i am sure staff in the majority of places can give advise on buses etc and they may even have entertainment if it a large establishment..I notice you are considering the Copper mines on the Orme which we have visited and can highly recommend..Just a word of warning though that there there may be a couple of things worth considering for your Mum ...1) It is quite a long walk through the caves and the ground is uneven in a few places so even though it is lit just watch your step...2) Some of the tunnels can feel a bit claustrophobic if that sort of thing bothers any of you..I wouldn't want to put you off going as it is well worth a visit but just thought i would point these out. As an additional thought there is a boat trip which takes you around the Orme and gives some great views of the coast BUT i am not certain when in the year this operates..Someone on the forum is bound to know however.

Colwyn Bay, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

I'd go along wth everyone else and suggest staying the extra day, if only because it appears from your itinery that you'll hardly get a chance to see anything of Llandudno!

There are a couple of places I'd suggest. The "Home Front Museum" is a museum devoted to 1940's memorabilia which might interest your elderly mother? It's in the town centre but hidden away down a quiet street so you might need a map to find it.

You could also visit the Oriel Mostyn Gallery. The art may not be to everyone's taste but admission is free so you've got nothing to lose (and it's indoors).

Venue Cymru have "Save The Last Dance For Me" (a rock'n'roll musical set in 1963 from 18-23 March and "The Mousetrap" from 25-30 March, both of which have matinee performances on Wednesday. The Mousetrap cast includes Karl Howman who used to in Brush Strokes along with a number of Eastenders, Coronation Street and Achers "actors".

I'd also go along with lelogthecat and suggest a trip to Conwy which is only about five miles from Llandudno. It's packed with history and lots of interesting independent shops.

Edited: 5:24 pm, January 10, 2013
Colwyn Bay, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

It's unlikely the boat trips around the Orme will be running in March (and if they are they'll be weather dependent) but there is a safer option in the Marine Drive Coach Tour - www.alpine-travel.co.uk/marinedrive.htm

The tours start from the bus stop next to the pier entrance and take in all the sites around the Great Orme using a vintage coach. It's certain to more comfortable sitting in a nice warm coach than being exposed to the elements on a boat and the coach is far less likely to sink!

10. Re: Should I book an extension to my March holiday in Llandudno?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 13, 2014