We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over Star Ratings

Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Confusion over Star Ratings

I’ve read quite a few reviews lately were the authors have no idea of the difference between 4 Star Hotel, 4 Star Guest Accommodation, 4 Star Guest House or 4 Star Bed and Breakfast and what you should expect from each of the very different categories. The problem stems from when Visit Wales (The old Wales Tourist Board) was ordered by its Political Masters to reach a common standard of grading with the A.A., R.A.C. and the other Tourist Boards. As with most things that our politicians interfere with, we ended up with a totally botched grading system, so much so that the R.A.C. pulled out of Grading Accommodation completely and those of us who had to try and implement the new system were left shaking our heads in despair. You can’t compare or expect an establishment that takes 20 guests to provide the same type of service as an establishment that takes 200 or to have the same facilities on offer. If you want the Big service with all the trimmings put your hands in your pockets and pay the Big price that goes with it. Most small establishments in Llandudno tend to charge between £30 to £50 per person, per night depending where they are located and for that you get good value for your money. We wanted to be graded as Small Hotels, so there would be no confusion but by staying inside the system we were prevented from doing so. Now there are a growing number of Small Independent Accommodation Providers in Llandudno, who have sacked Visit Wales and the political interference that goes with it, to set up a Grading system, where you the guest decide what our rating should be by using Trip Advisor and Google reviews to set our standard. Let’s hope this leads to a fairer and more user friendly system for everyone.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion over Star Ratings

I don't think you've helped clarify things. And I don't see the relevance to this forum - it seems you have a personal axe to grind. Maybe your property wasn't graded as highly as you wanted?

Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusion over Star Ratings

Oh dear, I did wonder when I wrote on the forum if someone like you would pop up.

Why do you think it is inappropriate for a professional Hotelier to pass on his observations in an open and frank manner? The reason for my post was that after reading a large number of reviews on a variety of establishments in Llandudno I was struck by the fact that a lot of the disappointment and complaints against a lot of the establishments, was caused by the general public not understanding the grading system and expecting all equally star graded properties of whatever class, with the same star rating to be the same, which of course they’re are not. As to your comment on an axe to grind, put that down to the fact that I don't suffer fools gladly and in answer to your last, not so as for the last 2 seasons I have been graded as 4 star Guest Accommodation when as professional hotelier I think a 3 star Small Hotel grade would have been far more appropriate.

Edited: 6:39 pm, September 19, 2010
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,081 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusion over Star Ratings

Self assessing is rarely a good idea and it just confuses people more.

I'd love to see what your definition of political interference is - requiring you to have en-suites that aren't white.

And unless you are providing more than breakfast on a regular basis you can't be called a hotel of any sort.

Strikes me you are ranting to the wrong place and it's your democratically elected assembly member

For future reference before posting long and densely packed sulks read it first as most people will take one look at it and think "rant" and ignore it.

Edited: 2:14 am, September 20, 2010
Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusion over Star Ratings

I totally agree with your first point, which is why I said let the guests decide on our ratings, by using Trip Advisor and Google Reviews, that wouldn’t confuse anyone. Certainly not self assessment.

I have no idea what the Scottish Tourist Board was instructed to do with regard to the negotiations to reach a common UK grading standard. Here, our negotiators were instructed by the Welsh Office in London not to leave the talks until they had achieved a common standard.

Final result, the end of our fantastic successful quality based grading system and capitulation to the commercial interest and requirements of a very large Plc Company.

p.s. My hotel inspector suggested I remove perfectly good, coloured bathroom suites and replace them with white ones, which we did at our own expense.

Oxford English Dictionary: Hotel /n. establishment providing meals and accommodation for payment. I do, on both counts.

You’ve missed the point of my post, which I can’t blame you for. I had observed a lot of complaints in all classes of accommodation, where people’s expectations had not been met, because the Grading system was not generally understood and is now way too overly complicated.

As you rightly surmised, I am new to forum writing and will endeavour to improve next time. This was never a sulk, just an observation on things that need to improve

Edited: 6:46 am, September 20, 2010
Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,967 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusion over Star Ratings

Just a suggestion why dont you post your thread on the Owners forum ,you may get some more feedback from some more like minded people who feel the same way as you ?

6. Re: Confusion over Star Ratings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:45 am, March 20, 2011