We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ang Thong over night?

Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Ang Thong over night?

Has anyone here done any of the overnight stay? We are seeing some little bungalows and tent camping.

Just wondering if anyone has done it and what they thought of it.

Should we just do a day trip or is it nice to spend the night?

Things to do there?

10 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Did it last night. On the boat there were about 100 people. I think 3 stayed overnight, and I was the only one camping.

It's fair to say that the other 97 missed out.

The beaches are packed in the daytime. They're empty after 4pm. It makes such a difference. The walk to the viewpoint is busy in the daytime. I walked up for sunset and apart from a thai couple who popped up for 15 minutes, I had 90 minutes entirely to myself. From the viewpoint I could see dolphins about 1-2km out to sea, which I doubt I would have seen with all the boats at 2pm. I could see hornbills circling far below as well.

The next day you have until about 3pm before the return boat comes to pick you up. So for me that was 5 hours of kayaking around all the different islands, I went to 9 of them. Most of them had no way to get out of the water. I also managed to squeeze in a walk to the secret beach, the trail starts from the back of headquarters and is not marked from headquarters. You'll know it when you see it, it has a rope handrail all the way until you reach the beach.

It cost me 30 baht because I took my own tent. If you rent theirs it's 250. Kayak 500 baht for a day. 200 baht for an hour. If I'd known how nice it was I would have stayed there another night, but I'd already arranged the return transport with the tour operator.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
992 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Samui Island Tour will take you and pick you back up heading back to Samui the following day.. As Graham said, there will be a large group on board, max 120 persons

The Bungalows 500 -600 baht but harder to arrange, camping easier

Mentioned in this post
Samui Island Tour
Samui Island Tour
169 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Stay the night! It's really hard to organise but worth it. Waving goodbye to the swarm at about 4 then it's all yours....

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Samui Island Tour was really easy. If you arrive on Samui at Nathon pier, their office is right there.

1300 baht fixed price, includes NP fee, and it's no problem to do overnight with them, they just say fine and write it on your ticket. Staff are friendly on the boat. Food is good. There are too many people for it to be relaxing, in my opinion, but that's why you stay the night.

If you want a cheap hotel at Nathon, walk across the road from Samui Island Tours office to Coffee Island. They don't advertise on booking sites, so you'll have to pay when you turn up. 300 baht, or 500 with aircon and tv.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Island Tour
Samui Island Tour
169 Reviews
Ko Samui, Thailand
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
771 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Thanks Graham I, this is the best information I've ever seen on staying overnight at Ang Thong. I want to do the overnight stay on my next trip.

Mentioned in this post
Ang Thong
Ang Thong
Ko Samui, Thailand
New England
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Thanks for the great information, Now I'm adding this to my itinerary. A few questions.

- Here's the bungalow booking instructions at the Park's site:

angthongmarinepark.com/activities/…

"Payment on 2 days because the online reservation system will be automatic cancel." What does it mean?

A bit complicated but doable from the US. I assume that no hotel or agency at Samui can do it for me?

- Is there any place for food?

- I'll be there in early December. How "cold" will it get at night?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Probably too late now but...

It means once you have made the booking you need to pay within 2 days or the system will cancel your booking automatically.

There's a restaurant at almost every national park in Thailand, including Ang Thong. They close earlier than normal restaurants, so order before 7pm to be safe.

Maybe about 20 degrees at night.

Mentioned in this post
Ang Thong
Ang Thong
Ko Samui, Thailand
At my desk
Level Contributor
369 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ang Thong over night?

Just updating this thread with my own experience:

1. As others have said, staying overnight is absolutely fantastic. You really do get a different experience being in the NP when all the day trippers have left. The beach is lovely, water temperature fantastic, you can hire kayaks and explore, the stunning walk up to the viewpoint was virtually deserted, there were hornbills in the trees, the dusky langur monkeys (including mothers with bright gold baby monkeys!) came down from the jungle and marauded around the beach and accommodation area which was fantastic. It was probably my favourite part of my trip to Thailand and, like others, I wish I'd stayed two nights.

2. The NP staff were lovely- helpful, warm yet unobtrusive. Many had good English, one had superb English. The restaurant was really quite good. Not the cheapest place in Thailand but definitely not the most expensive. I stayed in a cabin which was simple but comfortable and only 600thb/night. Given you're in a somewhat isolated NP it felt good value. Along with the restaurant there is a beach side cafe. The whole NP is alcohol free so you won't be able to drink a beer as you watch the sun go down.

3. I didn't find it hard to organise. I walked into a travel agent in Bophut and said I wanted to stay overnight at Ang Thong the next day. She understood exactly what I meant and treated this as if it was completely normal. She organised for me to travel with Anghong Sea Tour. I didn't even try to organise accommodation with either her or the NP. The next day when I got on the boat they were expecting me and clarified a few times that I was staying overnight. They were explicit as to when and where they would be the next day for the trip back. I did the tour as normal with them. Everyone spends approx. 2 hours at the main island (Ko Wua Ta Lap). While all the day trippers headed for the beach or viewing point I went to the visitors centre with my bags to enquire about accommodation. My logic was if it's all booked out then I'll simply get back on the boat. I was told there were several different cabins, tents and space for your own tent all available (this was late July). I choose a cabin because I'm soft. I paid cash (I'm not sure if they have eftpos, I'd bring cash for everything) and had a fantastic stay. The next day the guys from Angthong Sea Tour found me on the beach to remind me when and where to meet them for the trip back. The whole thing was very easy and felt very low risk.

I'd strongly recommend the overnight trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bophut
Bophut
Ko Samui, Thailand
Ang Thong
Ang Thong
Ko Samui, Thailand
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
771 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ang Thong over night?

OttersTrotters, what size is the bed in the bungalow? Twin, double, queen?

At my desk
Level Contributor
369 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ang Thong over night?

The bungalow I was in had twin beds, but there are quite a few bungalows and several look pretty big so probably have multiple bedrooms. I don't know if you'd get a queen or king bed though, it's pretty rustic but you get bed linen and towels and at 600 thb it's great value.

Reply to: Ang Thong over night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted