We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Bonanza Playa

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Bonanza Playa

Hi

I'm 99% ready to book a holiday in May at the Bonanza Playa. I understand most of the rooms have been refurbished and having stayed at a Riu in Tenerife I know they are of a high standard.

I understand the hotel has a private beach but it is tiny - barely a beach at all. While we will probably spend most of our time at the pool, I wanted to find out how easy it is to walk to a nearby beach. Is it a long walk, is it uphill/downhill etc? (I'm with my mother who won't be able to manage a steep hill in hot weather).

Also is there a small supermarket/shop very nearby where I can walk to to get water, bread, cheese etc for our lunch? We tend to have a very light lunch and a large evening meal (half board suits us very well).

Thanks very much.

Amanda

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Bonanza Playa

I have stayed twice at this hotel.Typical Riu so you know the standards to expect.The pool area is the hotel's best feature.Next time when I am in Illetas I will save more than a few euros by staying at the Riu Bonanaza Park across the road from Bonanza Playa.

You are correct the beach below Bonanza Playa is nothing really-and it is in the shade for most of the day.The walk from the hotel to Illetas Beach (over half a mile) is up and down hill and there are steep steps down to it from the road so I think it will be too much for your Mum.Nice beach though,well maintained and facilities though on the small side.Easier to walk to the beach at Cala Major though the beach there isn't as nice.

Shopping for essentials near at hand small over-priced supermarkets.Or Eroski down on the main road for a much wider selection and lower prices.I do like Illetas it is quite select really and no trash.The only thing it lacks is a selection of decent restaurants but as you are HB this won't bother you.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Bonanza Playa

Hi Poddles3, Wirralscouse has pretty much answered your all queries.

We stayed in the Bonanza Park in October and thoroughly enjoyed it. The clients of both hotels have free use of the others facilities. We had intended to use the pool at the Bonanza Playa but found we actually preferred the pools at the Bonanza Park as they were quieter. As WS says there are a few small shops in the vicinity and we found them to be very reasonable for water etc, unfortunately the nearest decent sized supermarket is a 10-15 minute walk away.

The Bonanza Playa is defiantly the better of the two for sitting out in the evening as it has much more space and there are nice quiet areas to sit if you are not too keen on the entertainment.

Edited: 6:56 am, February 21, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Bonanza Playa

Thanks guys. I've booked it now. Going to look into daytrips.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Bonanza Playa

Had a week in this lovely hotel in October 2012. It is a high class operation with first class service in all departments.

Not much negative to say about it except perhaps the evening "entertainment" was disappointing.

Close to Palma with regular cheap bus service, and handy for local shops and minimarkets. A few good bars locally too.

Good walking in all directions from the hotel, but very little is on the level. Quite a hilly area.

Give it a try, it's a first class holiday. We are sure you will just love it!!

5. Re: Riu Palace Bonanza Playa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, July 08, 2014