We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kjerag... May 13

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Kjerag... May 13

I'm coming to Stavanger May 11 - May 13...

I wanted to hike up Priekestolen on May 12

and on May 13 I wanted to hike up to Kjerag.

It looks like I can take the ferry & bus to Priekestolen, but I can't figure out how to get over to Kjerag. Is my best bet to just rent a car?

Mentioned in this post
Stavanger
Stavanger
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
Kjerag
Kjerag
431 Reviews
Forsand Municipality, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,989 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kjerag... May 13

Hiking Kjerag or getting to the tailhead so early in the season may simply not be possible, see previous post

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190511-i2080-k535…

Mentioned in this post
Kjerag
Kjerag
431 Reviews
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kjerag... May 13

Hmmm... would it just be snowy? I just hiked Myrdal to Flam, and the first part of the hike was covered in snow, but still possible. Is there more snow here?

Mentioned in this post
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,294 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kjerag... May 13

The trail to Kjerag is inland and above 1000 meters. Right now up to 100 cm snow, some parts 20-50 cm.

Mentioned in this post
Kjerag
Kjerag
431 Reviews
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
30,989 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kjerag... May 13

How much snow is hard to tell without actually being there. And the situation can change a lot in 2 weeks depending on temperatures and rainfall or snowfall at altitudes if it remains cold. And I suppose if the road to the tailhead is closed, you are stuck. Better inquire with the tourist office a bit closer to arrival.

Edited: 6:38 am, April 24, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kjerag... May 13

The problem with the Kjerag trail is that most of it passes over smooth, bare rock, and parts of it are quite steep. Melting snow on smooth rock slides easily, hence this hike is not recommended before the snow has gone.

Getting to the trailhead at Øygardstølen is another problem before the road is open. You would have to climb all the hairpin turns from Lysebotn, the upper part likely through snow.

Mentioned in this post
Kjerag
Kjerag
431 Reviews
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kjerag... May 13

okay tak! I think I'll just stick with hiking Priekestolen this time around.

I don't know what to do for the other day then... any suggestions?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kjerag... May 13

If hiking is is you prime interest, there are plenty of hikes at lower altitudes which are possible to do in May. There are other hikes besides Preikestolen in the area around Preikestolen Fjellstue: ut.no/tur/…A5det-et-eldorado-for-dagsturer

Another great hike staying at low altitude is from Frafjord to Månafossen and then continue up Fidjadalen: ut.no/tur/m%C3%A5nafossen-rogalands-mektigste

You would need a car to get there, but the drive is also interesting. http://g.co/maps/px2dy http://tinyurl.com/m-nafossen http://tinyurl.com/fidjavatn

Mentioned in this post
Preikestolen fjellstue
Preikestolen fjellstue
283 Reviews
Jorpeland, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
16,294 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kjerag... May 13

If you have a car you can also explore the lowlands/beaches near the airport and further south

9. Re: Kjerag... May 13

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 19, 2013