We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pulpet rock October 15

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Stavanger hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lillehammer, Norway
8 posts
Save Topic
Pulpet rock October 15

Hi everyone, I would like to hike on 15 October to the Pulpet rock, how can I get there from Stavanger? Is it even possible in this time? I know I should go by ferry to Tau and then by bus, but I could not find any timetables for October, but all the websites say, that October is still in the season. If the bus does not go, are there any other options? Except from renting a car. Thank you very much!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

Public transport to Preikestolen Fjellstue stops running October 2nd. You may take a bus to Jørpeland, then get a taxi or walk 2hrs. As Oct 15th is a Saturday, you may also try hitchhiking.

Lillehammer, Norway
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

Okay, thank you. The bus to Jorspeland goes from where? And are there any timetables? Do you think it is a good idea with the walking or not? Thank you very much for your answer.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

The bus to Jørpeland leaves from the ferry landing at Tau. Time table: http://www.boreal.no/getfile.php/Internett/Filer/Rutetider/%C3%98sterhus%20Buss/Rutehefte%202011%20(2).pdf

I think walking is a good idea, provided you're fit and used to walking, and the weather is good. You will have a total of 8hrs. walk to the Pulpit Rock and back, important to make an early start.

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,775 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

Sure you can walk in mid Oct, but it's autumn so a little bit frost on the ground, rain and wind is likely.

Lillehammer, Norway
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

Thanks for all the answres and especially for the timetable. But as it is in norwegian only, its quite confusing for me. Can I take only this bus Jørpeland - Tau - Jørpeland, or this one Jørpeland - Tau - Hjelmeland and this one Tau - Jørpeland - Forus as well?

I have found this for the ferry tide.no/uploads/…Stavanger-Tau.pdf . Hope it is the right one. So if I undesratnd it correctly, I can take ferry from Stavanger to Tau at f.e. 8 o clock and then I need the correspondent bus from Tau to Jorpeland. But is there any correspondent bus? I mean if the ferries and buses cooperate and wait for each other. If someone could write me - take this one at this time and on the way back at this time, that would be awesome :D Cause I dont know what is actually realistic and when is the best to start. (Btw, how much is it?)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

The time table Jørpeland-Tau-Jørpeland lists all departures between these two places, no need to look further. You will also see the ferry arrivals/departures in the same time table.

Ferry from Stavanger at 8:00 arrives Tau at 8:45, bus leaves immediately for Jørpeland. For your return, f. ex. bus from Jørpeland at 17:10 and ferry at 17:45.

I think the ferry is 40NOK and the bus 30NOK pp each way.

Lillehammer, Norway
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

Thanks a lot, this is great!

Do you think its OK to buy the tickets on board or is it better to buy them in advance because it might be sold out?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

It is not possible to buy tickets in advance.

Lillehammer, Norway
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

Is the Preikestolen Fjellstue and the car park the same place or not? Once I get to Jorpeland, the place I walk to is the car park (2 hours) and from there begins the actual hike to Priekestolen? (another 2 hours?)

If I decide to take taxi from Jorpeland, does anyone know how much would it cost and are there any taxis waiting?

Thanks.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pulpet rock October 15

Yes, yes and no, there probably won't be any taxis waiting. You may have to call one of these guys: http://www.gulesider.no/finn:taxi+j%C3%B8rpeland