We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stavanger port to Pulpit Rock??

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
New York
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Stavanger port to Pulpit Rock??

I am arriving by cruiseship. In port 0800-1600.

All I see is self driving, which I don't want to do. Is there any shuttle buses, private guides etc?? Is it even doable in that timeframe??

Otherwise, what else can I fill my day with in this port? Thank you for your help.

newcastle
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stavanger port to Pulpit Rock??

Im bumping this post back up because ide also be interested if anyone has any information on this?

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stavanger port to Pulpit Rock??

Hi and greetings from Stavanger :-)

You can go to Pulpit rock in a day but it requires a bit of walking so it is best if you are used to it :-) The walk is about 4 km each way and you have to climb about 300 meters going to the top. When are you coming here? In the main season you can take a bus from the ferry terminal at Tau to get to the parking lot at Pulpit rock and vice versa when you return.

If you don't go to Pulpit rock you can walk around town. It all depends on the weather but if the weather is nice you can check out old stavanger, the main church /cathedral, the oil museum...well, it depends on your interest :-)

Regards

Gard

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stavanger port to Pulpit Rock??

If you don't want to walk up to Pulpit Rock there are a couple of companies that do an 'express cruise' to see it from the fjord - they depart at around 11 - 11.30am and get back at 3pm or just after and costs about 390Kr.

They depart from close by the cruise harbour - just the other side, I think.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
380 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stavanger port to Pulpit Rock??

I don't think you have enough time to hike Pulpit Rock in this time frame. It takes about an hour or so traveling time each way at the very least + 2 hours each way hiking.

It is doable if you hike quickly (and run from the ferry quickly). There is public transportation from Stavanger to the Pulpit Rock cabin. A car would not save you much time because you'd still have to wait for the ferry.

veolia-transport.no/uploadConnex/ConnexNorwa…

If you take the 9am ferry, it gets to the Pulpit Rock cabin at 10:15. You would have to be back by the 2pm bus, getting you back to Stavanger prob. around 3:30. This leaves < 4 hours hiking. On Sunday, there's a 8:25 ferry so you'd have an extra 30 minutes. The ferry to Tau is not that close to the cruise ship dock.

Pulpit Rock is a darn good hike, though.

In Stavanger, you could walk around "Old Stavanger", go see the "Swords in Stone" (outside town), see the pretty lake.

5. Re: Stavanger port to Pulpit Rock??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, October 01, 2009