We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

We are in Alesund for a few hours in Feb as we are travelling north with Hurtigruten and really like the idea of going to the viewpoint but not the idea of the steps! Is the Town park close to Mt Aksla and is it worth seeing in Feb?

The train is not running then so it looks like a taxi is the best option, not interested in the coach trip that Hurtigruten offer. We were also looking at going to Atlanterhavsparken and walking round the town.

Has anyone hired a taxi to do the first 2 who would wait for them or are there any better ways to get to them.

Thanks!

Edited: 2:28 pm, March 18, 2013
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

February would not be the best time to visit a park. In winter I think the only option (except walking) to mount Aksla would be a taxi. Winter would not in any case be the time to walk with snow and ice and slippery steps.

Atlanterhavsparken is a few minutes outside the town centre at Skarbøvik. A taxi should be affordable.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

Thanks we had guessed that taxi would be best but trying to work out if we could hire one to take us where we wanted for a fixed fee and if we w to book it before we went.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

Taxis run on meters at approved tariffs and are expensive. I doubt you will find someone willing to drive you for a fixed price, but it is worth a try.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

Thanks for your reply I guess it would be hard to get a taxi from the top of Mt Aksla or would that not be a problem? Is there another option?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

The local taxi company do offer tours at fixed price (with a bit of guiding thrown in): www.alesund-taxi.no/en-GB/Sightseeing.aspx

Cheap it is not.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

It is not hard to get a taxi. Contact Ålesund taxi as indicated by WT.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

Thanks WhiskyTraveller that looks like an option worth exploring!

Norway is not cheap as we are finding out! ;-)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

You can telephone for a taxi whereever you are, but I suggest you use the same taxi for going there and back. On a cold February day I suspect you would not like to linger too long up there.

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

That is the thing don't want to be long but would like to see the views, don't want to be with a huge coach party though either.... So taxi tour it is I think!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,366 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Mount Aksla in Feb

An article in the paper today on your very subject

nrk.no/nyheter/…1.10954949