We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Alesund hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

We will be docked in Alesund on our cruise ship from 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM in early August. The 62Nord "Fjord Experience" tour is from 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM.

Is this a tour that is recommended? Can we do it within our time frame?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

Have you looked the other sightseeing tours to Geiranger from Ålesund?

"Round trip Ålesund 09:00 o'clock - Geirangerfjorden" will show you 2 fjords + mountain road Geiranger-Eidsdal with great views of Geiranger from above: www.flickr.com/photos/kjelle392/3792574105/

It is also considerably cheaper.

"62dNord Fjord Experience" may be a good option if you prefer to travel by boat,

The "Round trip Ålesund" is mainly with bus + ferries. Both have the same time frame, 9am-7pm.

visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/…

Edited: 3:40 am, February 26, 2011
Oslo
Level Contributor
13,775 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

If your cruise ship does not visit the inner fjords, I would recommend some kind of tour. Not necessarily to Geirangerfjord (although that is great), Hjørundfjord is in some respects even better, and it is closer to Ålesund.

…blogspot.com/_xMrZjwWcyBA/…IMG_6006.JPG

…wordpress.com/2010/08/ohhansen_20100812_389…

…panoramio.com/photos/original/51866.jpg

Ålesund (front) and the local "alps" (background)

westcoastpeaks.com/pics05/gshorn_21sviewH.jpg

Norangsdalen (tour by boat and bus via Geiranger):

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Norangsdalen.jpg

Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

Alesund is the furthest north our cruise goes, so we would really like to see some of the inner fjords if possible.

I've "spoken" (through email) with someone who lives in Alesund and he says that we should try to see Geirangerfjord if possible. According to him (I have no idea, as we've never been there!) Hjørundfjord is lovely but pales by comparison.

Is the countryside as beautiful as the fjords? I'm very uncertain now as to which choice we should make?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

Both tour options mentionned in your OP and my reply nr. 1 includes the Geirangerfjord. 62North Fjord Experience offers Geirangerfjord and Hjørundfjord,

Ålesund-Geiranger 9:00 round trip offers Geirangerfjord and Nordalsfjord/Storfjord. Ask your friend which he would recommend.

Edited: 7:51 pm, February 26, 2011
Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

Please do not misunderstand my previous post. I do not have a "friend" that is advising me more than you would here. I value your advice as much as any others!

Which tour option would you choose... if you were going to visit this part of the world just this one time?

Thank you so much for your help!

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,775 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

"Fjord Experience with 62ºNORD" covers both fjords, so can clearly be recommended (if time permits). If time is limited, Hjørundfjord is a very good alternative.

Alternative that includes Geiranger:

http://www.fjord1.no/default.asp?page=363

You can also go both ways on Hurtigruten (return to Ålesund around 18:00).

Edited: 7:41 am, February 27, 2011
California
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

We took the 62nord tour in 2009 with our kids and as advertised you will pay for the support. But if you want a carefree day of being led around, relaxing it's not a bad choice - mind you it's not a gourmet service or guided history tour but scenery and easy to use transportation. The day in Alesund starts with the Hurtigruten which has great views available for you, some nice shops on board. Views from the boat are stunning and you can get any view you want, front, back, side, etc. I was overwhelmed by the scenery but I'm from California. They drop you off in Geiranger and you have a couple hours to shop, see the sites, etc. You then board another smaller ferry which takes you to the other side of the fjord and you board a bus to go over the mountain and along the way maybe see a lake with a buried village foundation/walls in it. We then took a 40' boat back to Alesund which is a fast ride, a little "weekend" feeling but quick and was ok. Overall this made our trip with a 10 and 12 year old along very easy to enjoy and while a long day it would have been much longer and more uncertain working plans on our own. I think this is more a budget question or do you like to micro plan journey's or not. 62 nord will take care of you for a price.

Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

Thanks for the great review of your 62Nord tour. For some reason when I contacted the company they were concerned that we might be too late to board the Hurtigurten ferry (our cruise ship arrives in Alesund at 8:00 AM and the ferry leaves at 9:00 AM). Is the Hurtigurten terminal very far from where the large cruise ships dock? Were you and your family also in Alesund just for the day?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,839 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

According to the Hurtigruten timetable, the departure from Ålesund is 9.30am and the cruise dock and the Hurtigruten terminal are about 15 minutes by foot apart. According to my maritime pilot husband cruise liners often arrive ahead of their scedule, so you will have 1,5 hours between your arrival and the Hurtigruten departure.

Hurtigruten timetable northbound:

hurtigruten.no/Norge/…

10. Re: 62Nord Fjord Experience tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, October 23, 2012