We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

We have posibility to spend 4 days in Norway.Would you help choice the best route.We are lending in Alesund and departure from Bergen.We would love to see Geigarger fjord and Trollstige .We have been in Flam last year ,so now we are looking forward for another places to see.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

Good choice!

Recommended route:

Ålesund-Åndalsnes (continue 30 km up Romsdal valley, then return), Åndalsnes-Trollstigen-Valldal-Geiranger-Stryn (alternative route: ferry to Hellesylt), Stryn-Olden-Innvik-Byrkjelo (alternative route: "panoramaroad" to Lote-Anda ferry), Byrkjelo-Skei-Fjærland-Sogndal (detour to Solvorn and Urnes), Sogndal-Lærdal-Flåm-Bergen.

This route will perhaps give you an overdose of fjords, lakes, hills and winding roads, some glimpses of glaciers too. :)

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

Thank you!Maybe there are another end route as I have mensioned we were in Flam last year and Sognefjord seen too.

In Latvia aren't hills so I'm afraid we can't overdouse them,especially in this wonderful country!:)

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

If you have time and energy to drive more you can go up to Borgund in Lærdal to see the wonderful wooden church there (similar to the one at Urnes).

If you still have energy: At Aurland (before Flåm) you take the crazy mountain road (nr 50) then road 7 across the mountain plateau and then the crazy road down to Eidfjord passed the great Vøringsfossen waterfall. Then continue along Hardangerfjord road 7, and yet another crazy stretch at road 7 before joining road E16 to Bergen.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

Oh,it seems to be very exciting trip.How about some ideas to overnight.We prefer camping cabins to hotels as they are cheaper.It's quite difficult to plan our stays as we don't know where the road as get at night.How sure we can find the staying places if not make reservations before?

Oslo
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

Good suggestions from OsloViking.

If you want to see more than just fjords, I guess the coastline south og Ålesund also could be spectacular (visit the islands of Herøy - f.x. the bird's mountain at Runde, Stad is also cool).

I guess Aurlandsvegen / Snøvegen between Lærdal and Aurland is even more crazy than road 50 (but I would recommend road 50) and it would also include Hardanger which is beautiful (much the same as Sogn).

If you're tired of the Flåm/Aurland area you could go to Balestrand and Vik instead (all the other areas are narrow fjords, at Balestrand you would see a wide fjord).

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

Thank you Karsten!

I draw the map .Last year was in Flam and I like there a lot.We were there by car from Oslo and then back.So we have been on Hardanger plato too.We made quite long trip ,even seen Voringsfossen and Eidfjord and we had a ferry before it.I just want to use possibility to seen something new again.

So Balestrand went out of my trip last year ,it would be great to be able enclose it in this journey.

Karsten,how about the islands you mentioned -is there road or we have to look for ferry,it's always a bit complicated ,because we quite short in time .

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,052 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

The coast from Ålesund to Bergen is littered with islands of all sizes.

Next to Ålesund there is a group of islands (Hareid-Herøy) available by ferry near Ålesund and tunnel at Ørsta.

At Bremanger in Nordfjord area there is some interesting landscapes.

The mouth of Sognefjord has numerous islands (need one ferry).

West of Bergen there is a large system of islands (Sotra-Øygarden and Askøy) protecting Bergen from the rough Atlantic. Connected to Bergen by bridges, easy trip.

Riga, Latvia
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

I guess now more or less the trip is completed thanks to your great advices.Sure I'm open to hear anynew ideas ,I do hope mostly of must seen places are landscapes ,so they come on our road themselves. If anything a bit away from main road what we could

let go out of our eyes let us know.Sometimes it's so near ,but it's not the turist favourite place....

9. Re: Alesund-Bergen by rented car.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 08, 2009