We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap stop over in Bergen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
cheap stop over in Bergen

We are flying into Bergen at 10pm and our connecting flight isnt until 7pm the next evening. I am trying to find reasonably priced hotel for the evening. All hotels in the centre of Bergen are working out at over £250 for the night. The Edvard Greig near the hotel about £120 so a considerable difference.

We have already visited Bergen a few times so not too bothered if we arent in the centre. Does anyone know if the Edvard Greig offers late checkout rooms where we could hang around the hotel for a few hours or if there is anything to do nearby the hotel. We will have a 5 year old with us as well

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,665 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

Only the hotel can tell if they practise/offer late check-out. Please also look st the map, the hotel is not in walking distance to the airport and taxis are expensive. Location in a business/office area and there is absolutely zero to do there. Take a look at the b&b listed here on TA, I think you might find something decent. Klosterhagen springs to mind.

Edited: 3:01 pm, August 21, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

A search on all hotel booking sites shows only a handful of hotels in the centre as we are going in only 10 days time. All bed and breakfasts seem to be full. I realise we would need a taxi as it is a number of kms from the airport. Do you have any idea of the cost for a taxi?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,665 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

There is a concert on the 31st, I think that is why hotels are sold out. I do not know exactly what a taxi would cost, but I would guess NOK 200-250 each way to/from airport.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

Hi! There is a "play land" for kids not far from the Edward Grieg hotel:

http://www.leoslekeland.no/ They open at 10 AM, and close at 8 PM. Adults don`t pay - only the child. Price for Your child is 155. Their e-mail adress is: mailto:bergen@leoslekeland.no

They have a cafe where you can buy Food.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

PS Did you check out Clarion Hotell Bergen Airport?

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

airporthotelguide.com/bergen/hotel/clarion-h…

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

I would email the different taxi Companies to chech out the taxi prices. The price will depend on what day, what time of the day, how many passengers + if you have booked the taxi in advance or not. There are also an already settled price for taxi`s between the airport and the centre of the city - so you might wanna check that out. For a taxi between the airport and hotel Edv. Grieg I would guess 170-220. Also since you have a 5 year old daughter, you need a taxi with a children`s car seat, because in Norway there are strict rules about securing children in a car seat. With all this in mind, I would book a taxi in advance. You are after all arriving very late in the evening. The different taxi Companies are:

http://www.bergentaxi.no/KontaktOss/

http://www.norgestaxi.no.web10.itum.com/

http://www.taxi1.no/contact.aspx

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

Thankyou all for your advice. .

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

I just received an email from norgestaxi stating the prices from the hotels in the centre of the city to the airport, and judging from the prices, you should just book a room in one of the hotels by the airport and stay there! For 1-4 passengers traveling between the airport and a hotel in the centre of the city, the weekend price is 630kr....... So for a cheap stop over in Bergen, book a room in Hotel Edvard Grieg, eat breakfast there, you probably don`t have to check out of the room until 11 or 12. Arrange for safekeeping of the luggage and take a taxi to the play land. If the weather is good, you can also og for a walk in the area.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,665 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap stop over in Bergen

One does not have to take a taxi to get to the airport from the city center, the airport coach is very convenient. But you have to take a taxi from Edvard Grieg and you probably have no choice but to eat/drink at the hotel. And you have to call for a taxi (at extra cost) from the hotel as there is no taxi stand there. At the airport there are normally plenty of taxis and it is likely that you will even find one with a child seat. In the end it would probably be just as good to choose the Clarion at the airport - although perhaps more expensive to start with you will save on transport and you have the airport 7eleven if you need a snack or a drink.