We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Prices etc

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
162 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Local Prices etc

Hi

Will soon be visiting various Norway stops on a forthcoming cruise. Could anyone give me a rough idea of the current costs of say, a coffee and perhaps a snack or sandwich at a café in town?

Also, if we use a taxi, is there a minimum charge?

Thanks.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Local Prices etc

Cards must be linked to Visa or MasterCard, an ordinary UK bank debit card wouldn't work. Costs are normally around 2%, plus a fee for cash withdrawals - check with your bank. Costs of cash exchange 5 - 8% or more, hidden in exchange rate. Check middle exchange rates on http://www.xe.com/

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Local Prices etc

My UK debit card works fine abroad. All UK debit cards I have had are Visa debit. I have a Santander Zero card which means no charges/loaded rates. I need to phone my bank if I am going abroad so they don't get suspicious and block it. We use 2 no-extra-charges cc accounts for normal spending and the debit card for cash (we did need some, even in Norway!!). This is a very good guide to travel money for UK people moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

Hertford, England...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Local Prices etc

hey, was wondering for bus transport in bergen and stavanger, are we allowed to use card? or only cash is allowed?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,958 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Local Prices etc

I do not know about Stavanger, but in Bergen you can buy tickets at vending machines at certain stops and pay by card. Tickets are valid for 90 minutes after purchase. Central Bergen is very compact, you may not need the bus or tram.

There is also the application for smartphone where you can buy single tickets

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Single tickets are also available at outlets accepting cards:

7-Eleven

Deli de Luca

Narvesen

Bunnpris

Ica

Matkroken

Rimi

Edited: 9:07 am, August 07, 2013
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Local Prices etc

Cash and Kolumbus bus cards are the only payment options for local busses in Stavanger. No vending machines. The airport buses accept VISA and Mastercards, not sure about other types of cards.

16. Re: Local Prices etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 09, 2014