We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

After 3 years of dithering I have finally bought my ticket Londo-Bergen to travel with my son. We are taking one handbag luggage each to facilitare transportation.

The plane from London lands at Bergen airport on the thursday 29th of August at 10:45 AM. My return flight to London leaves on sunday 1st Sep, so time in Norway is very short.

The aim of my trip is primarily to cruise the Naerosfjord in one direction once. Is there suficiente time to do this on the same day of arrival at Bergen? Then reach a village to stay for one or two nights i.e. Flam or Gudvangen, or similar nearby/on the way...which one would be best to stay at? Though I wonder I if there is any point at all considering Flam if I am not planning to travel in the Flam railway after the depressing reviews I read about it (overcrowded train, long queus and misty windows so one cannot see the scenery).

I hope some kind/travel expert person may help me plan this trip. Thanks in advance.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,839 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

I am sorry to say, but the fjords are not really suited for speed sightseeing. In addition, choosing one of the few tourist traps in Norway, there is bound to be crowds. Getting onto the Nærøyfjord, you will have to go through Flåm wheter you like it or not. Flåm is one of the busiest cruise ports in Norway and the morning trains on the Flåm Railway are filled with cruise excursion passengers. Afternoon trains will be less busy. It is an old train, there is no air con to deal with the humidity on one of the many rainy days.

Getting on your way on the day of arrival you have two choices. Express bus from Bergen to Flåm or Gudvangen. It takes three hours and you will arrive in time for the last ferry on the Nærøyfjord.

www.fjord1.no/turistruter/flam-gudvangen2

…nor-way.no/nbeiis/search/searchresult.aspx

Choosing between Flåm and Gudvangen for the night, Flåm is better regarding choice of accomodation. In Gudvangen there is only a motel and a camping.

Second option would be the train Bergen-Myrdal-Flåm (including the Flåm railway). You will have to spend the night in Flåm and do the Nærøyfjord the next morning.

Manchester
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

Thank you Klimaflytnking for taking the time to reply to my query; I appreciate your honest personal opinión. I am definitely not travelling in the Flam railway for obvious reasons we both mentioned. But, I fully understand that You would recommend stopping in Flam overnight because the accommodation there is bettter than in Gudvanven.

From what You have kindly advised, do I understand correctly that We shall not be able to take the ferry to Flam but would be able to take a bus there?

Many thanks,

Edited: 3:58 pm, May 25, 2013
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,839 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

The passenger express boat from Bergen to Flåm leaves at 8 am every morning so your arrival is too late. Besides it is a long journey on such a boat and I could not really recommend. Again, this is my well founded personal opinion. Personal opinions is what you will get on a discussion forum. Reviews are also personal opinions, often from a one off experience and need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally, I travelled through Flåm and the Nærøyfjord just a couple of days ago, I am born and bread in the area and have experience from the travel business - you can take my advise or choose to ignore.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

I'd suggest you go to Voss on the first day and then travel to the Naeroyfjord from there by bus. You could go both ways on the ferry between Gudvangen and Flam, or take a bus to Flam and back on the ferry, or the other way around of course. From a base in Voss you could then make a day trip to the Hardangerfjord on the Saturday. You could spend a few hours in Bergen on the first or last day as there are quite frequent trains between Bergen and Voss. An alternative is the Hardangerlinja bus along the north side of the Hardangerfjord via Norheimsund which is much more scenic than the train journey (which is mostly in tunnels).

Manchester
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

Klimaflyktning, thank you kindly for your well informed advice. As a result of it I shall rule out taking the express boat from Bergen to Flam as it would leave too early in the morning for me, plus it takes too long. I shall have to investigate other options.

Regards,

Manchester
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

Hi Norsc. So far, I have ruled out taking the express boat from Bergen to Flam because it takes too long and because it leaves at 8AM com Bergen according to the good advice from Klimaflyktning.

So, if we land at Bergen airport at 10:45AM, we could then go to Voss on the same day and from there take a bus (or ferry along the Naerosfjord) to Flam. But, how do I get from Bergen airport to Voss at around 10:45AM? And, how do I travel from Voss to Gudvangen? And from there to Flam? Is there an afternoom ferry or bus available from Voss? Will I have time to return on the same day from Flam to Voss by bus/ferry? Many thanks,

7. Re: Bergen-Naeroyfjord-Then what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 27, 2014